Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stealership quoted me $189 to replace the rear pads on my '03.

so, after some shopping around, found a set of ceramic pads for $32.99. Probably tackle them this weekend. My question is there a special tool for those rear brakes? I've heard sometimes you have to turn the piston to get it to go back in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jace
Just replace all my brake pads and the only special tool that I got was a screw vise that will push the hydraulic piston back into the caliper. This is so that when you mount your new shoes, the caliper will fit over the rotor. Any car part shop should have one, mine cost me $10 and was worth every penny.

Doing the brakes on the Mo is a breeze as they are all disc brakes, getting that tool just makes it a lot easier. The only other tool you should have is a metal coat hanger, cut so that you can hold up the rear caliper while you change out the shoes. Do not forget to get some emery paper or gritty sandpaper to take the glaze off the rotor if you do not turn them.

·
5,244 Posts
jace.

see this post. Eric has done great job posting detailed description: brakes

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I have not done my brakes so I don't really know. But I heard that emergency brake shoes are inside the rear rotors. Someone who knows please say so but if that is the case you may want to take the rotors off and clean dust and whatnot from inside of them.

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I have not done my brakes so I don't really know. But I heard that emergency brake shoes are inside the rear rotors. Someone who knows please say so but if that is the case you may want to take the rotors off and clean dust and whatnot from inside of them.
Zeb, your are right. The emergency brake is drum brake. I am not sure if it needs to be disassemled and cleaned though.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The emergency brake doesn't require any servicing other than you using it to keep it from binding up. When I did the rear brakes, I had the parking brake off (don't need it with the wheels in the air), but I don't think it makes a difference whether its engaged or not when you do the normal rear brakes (unlike other vehicles).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts