Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
is there any way to have the trans reprogrammed to shift later. My trans shifts way to early hindering acceleration. have to constantly downshift manually.

Will this do anything? Murano is sluggish.

Bully Dog GT Platinum Tuner (49-State Legal) - Bully Dog GT Tuner Reviews on Gas Programs for Dodge, Chevy, Ford & Nissan Trucks
I dun think thaz reprogrammable :(. Factory setting is always conservative where they will try to bring the rpm down as early as they can during the rev. The best bet is to stick with sports shifter. Rumor has it that CVT lasts longer with sports shifter because it's less confusing for computer to decide which gear to stay in.

·
Super Moderator
7,730 Posts
Joe, how high does it rev if you keep your foot on the floor? I'm not sure what a "shift" feels like in the series 3, as I had a series 1 and there were no "shift points" unless you moved the shift lever to manually engage a different drive ratio. Sounds like the setup is different with your car. Others with series 3 might explain this....

I'm wondering if you're being a bit gentle with the gas pedal.

Mine would consistently rev up to around 6,000 RPM if I kept my foot on the floor. Once the engine is warmed up, it doesn't hurt anything to hit an entrance ramp and plaster the gas to the floor, letting up only when you hit full road speed. My guess is that you should be able to hit 6K RPM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my biggest complaint about my 3rd Gen. My 03 was a smooth powerband; not shift points. I loved it. Like a magic carpet ride! That is what a CVT was supposed to give you. People whined that they missed the shifts of a normal auto trans. Now I have all kinds of shift points and a transmission that cannot figure out when to shift if I dare mash down on the pedal. Then there is the "lull" in acceleration as it tries to give me better gas mileage when I just want to get off the line and down the road.:(

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
This is my biggest complaint about my 3rd Gen. My 03 was a smooth powerband; not shift points. I loved it. Like a magic carpet ride! That is what a CVT was supposed to give you. People whined that they missed the shifts of a normal auto trans. Now I have all kinds of shift points and a transmission that cannot figure out when to shift if I dare mash down on the pedal. Then there is the "lull" in acceleration as it tries to give me better gas mileage when I just want to get off the line and down the road.:(
That doesn't sound good! Maybe I should just keep the 2012.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,287 Posts
I owned my early 2009 LE for nine years and loved the CVT. The CVT on my 2017.5 Midnight Edition is great, just slightly different with a few soft shift points. It doesn't bother me at all or is even is that noticeable. In fact, there's nothing that was on my 2009 that I would take over the 2017.5. It's that nice of a car!

Take care!

Jim

·
Super Moderator
7,730 Posts
My question stands - how hard are you accelerating when it changes drive ratios, aka" "shifts"?

If you keep the boot to it, I doubt it will shift early. I would like to hear more about how hard people are accelerating when they experience this problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I cant even tell when it hits the shift points. So like Pilgrim, Im wondering if people are either accelerating too hard or waaay to soft.

For me, it seems to stay between 1k-2k RPM. If I do accelerate hard, like merging on the freeway, it will go to 4K. I havent pushed harder than that.

·
Super Moderator
7,730 Posts
When accelerating, at least Gen 1 had no shift points. That's part of the function of a CVT.

When you move the shift lever, you are NOT changing gears or shifting. You are sending an electronic message to the CVT to select a specific drive ratio with its pulleys.

The only time I ever felt a "shift" in my Gen 1 was when moving the shift lever to "shift down" a gear in traffic or on a long downhill. The later generation Muranos may be set up differently. It's all electronically controlled pulleys, not gears: the CVT does NOT shift.

Learn more: https://www.nissanusa.com/blog/xtronic-cvt-continuously-variable-transmission

Images from that page:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts