41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
yanksno1

Yup !

P0420 (Bank 1)
P0430 (Bank 2)
 Three way catalyst does not operate properly.

Cost, $0, zero, nada, zip,

100% Warranty covered for at least 50,000 miles.

GRIP :D

·
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im an idiot

I really didnt understand that article. What is the waranted period on what we're talking about. If its 60000...Im sure my dealer will work with me and get it fixed under waranty.If its less than that ...then I guess Im out of luck..if its more than that...then Im golden

·
5,100 Posts
(a) for specified major emission control components, not less than 8 years or the period within which the warranted vehicle is driven 80,000 miles (128 748 km), whichever is shorter,

GRIP :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds good...BUT

I see this article relates to Canada...Are the regualtions different or the same in the US? If they are then Ill be under warranty until 80000 miles...Correct?

·
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for all your help

I assume this is a federal emission long term defect...right?
Just an FYI..I reset the light 2 days ago and it hasnt come back on...any thoughts?

·
5,100 Posts
That would be my opinion. I would simply go to the dealer and say my LIGHT IS ON AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY, ONLY IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WOULD I START THE "THIS IS THE LAW' I WOULD EVEN GO TO A SECOND DEALER IF I HAD TO, TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Whoops sorry for the caps. GRIP :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where are you guys seeing the error messages? Meaning PO420 / PO430 etc etc. My service engine came on this AM and I ran through the maint. part of the screen and didn't see anything....now mind you, I have the SL model, so I might not have the full diagnostic system that you have...HELP!

·
Registered
719 Posts
crash said:
Where are you guys seeing the error messages? Meaning PO420 / PO430 etc etc. My service engine came on this AM and I ran through the maint. part of the screen and didn't see anything....now mind you, I have the SL model, so I might not have the full diagnostic system that you have...HELP!
Do you have a local autozone store? They'll read the error codes for free if you show them your check engine light is on. They'll tell you what the code is described as in their computer in the store in the hopes that they'll have the part you need and that you'll buy it from them.

It's been my experience that they have no parts for Nissans (in relative terms) so I just get the codes read for free and call around for parts if necessary or search the service manual for the code #.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
crash said:
If you read this thread from the beginning, you'll see how to read the codes without going to someone with a scanner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did read this thread from the beginning and I didn't see that. What are you talking about? The chart that you placed on page one 1?

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Yes. The first part (self diagnostic results) will blink the MIL to indicate codes. I'll see if I can dig up the part that explains how to read them.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
How to Read DTCs With MIL

Here is an image that indicates how to read diagnostic trouble codes using the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light). It's kinda compicated. To display the DTCs just follow the directions in the first image I posted, "How to Set Diagnostic Mode II". Do NOT follow the part about erasing the codes until you've read them!

Attachments

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
To put that in clearer "English", it's something like this:

The first digit of each code uses longer blinks than the other three digits.

Ten blinks equals a digit of zero.

The delay between codes is longer than the delay between digits.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took my '03 in this morning to reset the SES light. The code they found..... P0456. They pressure tested the system and found no leaks so they reprogrammed the ECM. All seems well now, but the idle RPM's are much lower than before. No Charge...warranty fix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say that everyone should invest $200 on a scan tool. It will work on any car that is 1996 or newer and it will probably pay itself off in either time or money within the first few months of owning it.

I bought one becuase my Expedition's CEL came on and everywhere I checked said they would charge me $50-$80 just to diagnose the problem. I said eff that, I ll just buy a scan tool. Used it on the Expedition to diagnose a bad coil pack on cylinder 6. A week later a freind asked me about his cars CEL. I plugged into his car and told him he needed to change his o2 sensor. He saved $175. A couple weeks later the Mo SES light came on so I plugged in and got the small vacuum leak code. Tightened the gas cap, reset the light via the scan tool and no more SES light. Another couple weeks go by and the Expedition CEL came on. This time it was the coil pack on cylinder 8.

So basically I think it is well worth the investment to get a scan tool. It has saved me 3 trips to the mechanic and has certainly paid for itself already.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Why would I spend $200 when I can read the codes for free using the procedure listed in this thread? I've done it enough times I have the procedure memorized.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see your point, I have been doing it for years the hard way. I still have to do it on the Z since it is a 1990, and I actually have to get in the floor board and mess with the ECU. However, I think a scan tool is very useful in diagnosing issues. Some folks may not be as skilled as others who can turn the car off, then turn it on, jump on one leg while patting their heads, rubbing their stomachs, and singing Jingle Bells. Oh wait...was that a long flash or a short flash.

Its just quick, simple, universal, and very convienent. Plug it in, hit "Read" see the code, hit "Clear", done deal. I will compare it to my new ratcheting wrenches. Yeah I could get by using the traditional style wrench, but I greatly prefer to use the ratcheting style because its quicker and easier. Bah! call me lazy.

Not to mention that there are cheaper versions, I just got one that gives the explaination of what the alpha-numeric code means.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
32 Participants
Abigail
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing