Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me just say that I'm a brand new Murano owner (less that a week), and this is my first post. So far, I love it.....with one exception......I didn't get the stinkin' navagation system. At first, I thought I could live without is, but after looking at the monochrome screen everyday, I'm really wishing I would held out.

My question is this......since I've only had it for 3 days, what are the chances that the dealer would take it back and find one with Nav for me? I get the feeling he would just laugh in my face....but I wasn't sure if any of you have done this.

Any suggestions? Thoughts??

PS.... I love this board :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
cgram23 said:
My question is this......since I've only had it for 3 days, what are the chances that the dealer would take it back and find one with Nav for me? I get the feeling he would just laugh in my face....but I wasn't sure if any of you have done this.
Any suggestions? Thoughts??
PS.... I love this board :D
Welcome to the forum!

Rule of thumb is when one drives off the lot with a vehicle, the depreciation hits you immediately because it is already count as a used vehicle! Usually it will be the first year's.

I went to edmunds.com and it says that murano 1st yr depreciation is around $3,300. So $3,300 is the money you will have to pay in addition to the price diff between nav and non nav murano. Again, this is my opinion. YMMV. The ultimate answers of course to bring the MO to your dealer and ask them how much is your out of pocket cost for the trade going to be.

Do a search in this forum, there are so many aftermarket NAV solution~

Good luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
cgram23 said:
Some states have a "cool-off period" for car purchases where you can return the car within a certain time frame and be free of the purchase commitment. Check your local state laws. Here in Nevada, we have NO cool-off period. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Considering my Mo drove off the lot with 8 miles on it... and 3 days later I was probably up to about 500 miles... it isn't brand new anymore to return for a new one. How many miles did you put on it? Is there anyway to upgrade the monitor to a color one from the monotone one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in Illinois, and I don't think we have a 'cooling off' law. There's about 100 miles on it, about only 50 of which are mine.

As for replacing the monochrome with a color screen...I don't think that's possible. I've been reading the forums a lot, and it seems like a royal pain.....and expensive.

I suppose I'll just ask the dealer and see what he says....

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
You might get lucky and catch the dealer before they submit your registration paperwork. If you do, they may take the car and exchange it because you are not really returning, but upgrading.

Call the dealer right away. Tell them what you want to do and ask for the exchange. I have a feeling they will say yes.

Good luck...:)

·
Registered
828 Posts
In Connecticut anyway, once the vehicle is registered they would have to sell it as used if they accepted it back.

Made that type of mistake once, didn’t this time.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
zebelkhan

Have you heard this story before? or What ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: zebelkhan

GripperDon said:
Have you heard this story before? or What ?
Yeap...It sure sounds familiar....:D

But you did it for other reasons too. I think the real reason you did it was because you had totally modded your 04 and liked doing it so much you decided to return it, get a 05, and start all over....:2:

Will we be seeing an 06 in your garage as soon as it becomes available? :)

By the way, I saw a Phaeton for the first time and now I know why you like it so much! It is gooooooooooood!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Earliest for next MO is 07.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Cgram

Welcome to the boards. I agree with the other Mowners that you should go ask the dealer if a fair return is possible. If not, there are some fabulous after market NAV solutions.

Personally, I use a Magellan and absolutely love it. One of it's best features is the portabilty of the unit. Based solely on that feature, I would never opt for the factory NAV. (Of course we're going function over form here). An aftermarket system also costs many $$$ less than a factory deal.

That said: The "coolness" of the factory NAV is tremendous. I agree the 1984 era amber monochrome screen sux.

Grip, Welcome back, you're wisdom and antics were missed.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
EHmm hmmm...

Mr3Putt said:
Cgram
Grip, Welcome back, you're wisdom and antics were missed.
:toothless "antics" ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, thanks for the welcome and the replies. It looks like I'm SOL. I talked to the dealer yesterday, and in Illinois, once I drove off the lot, they could only take it back used. I'm going to work with an installation place in town (they're suppose to be excellent) to see what my options are. I guess it was worth a try at least.

Next time....I'm getting the nav!!!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
cgram23 said:
Hey, thanks for the welcome and the replies. It looks like I'm SOL. I talked to the dealer yesterday, and in Illinois, once I drove off the lot, they could only take it back used. I'm going to work with an installation place in town (they're suppose to be excellent) to see what my options are. I guess it was worth a try at least.

Next time....I'm getting the nav!!!
Look into the Garmin c320 or c330. I love mine! Battery operated, so you don't have to have it plugged in all the time. Can do the bird's eye or 3d mode, just like the integrated one. Make sure you read the threads on this forum that talk about different nav options.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Corin said:

Look into the Garmin c320 or c330. I love mine! Battery operated, so you don't have to have it plugged in all the time. Can do the bird's eye or 3d mode, just like the integrated one. Make sure you read the threads on this forum that talk about different nav options.
I kind of get the impression he isn't looking for a NAV ( but i'm sure would like one), but rather just doesn't like the look of the monotone orange screen and would rather have a color one, which comes with the NAV. Am I correct ?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
You have many aftermarket options that look quite nice in the MO, and with a little work you can make it look not-aftermarket.

One option is of course adding a PC and screen, and if that is too much work, You can get a Garmin, Magellan, or TomTom. These units sit rather nicely on the dash and with an extra set of wires and a fabricated bracket you can mount them permanently (yet removable for use in other cars). A member here built a bracket for his Magellan 700, mounted it on top of the existing screen, and ran permanet wires to it through the dash. It looked pretty good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TheGymKid is right. I do want nav, but I really just don't like the monochrome screen. After doing some more reasearch, I think my only viable option is to have a carputer installed.

zebelkhan, haven't you done this? I've seen a picture, it may have been yours, where the monochrome screen was moved below the stereo head unit, and the carputer screen was mounted where the monochrome used to be. I think I like that option. If it was yours....I have a couple of questions for you:

-what did you do with the mirror adjustment, awd, and seat heater adjustments? It looks like the screen is covering them.

-do you have satellite and mp3 capability? do they both play through the carputer? is there a way to have both, but be able to use stereo controls for the satellite?

-and last.....doesn't the carputer get too hot...especially in the summer? it seems that that kind of heat would kill the computer.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
That was not my install. However, moving the OEM screen down and putting a vga screen in its place will be done fairly soon.

For now, I have the book size computer mounted under the right front seat. That space also houses my XM radio tuner which is connected to the computer. It sitts flush against the bottom of the seat and out of the way of the A/C and heating ducts, yet close enough to be cooled and heated by them, depending on the season. I have not had any heat problem with the computer or the monitor. In very hot days, the monitor can get warm (because it is in enclosed space) but only if A/C is not running

I built an enclosure for the space under the OEM radio and mounted a 7 inch touh screen VGA monitor there. The mirror and AWD switched were moved to the driver side of the enclosure and are fully accessable by the driver.

To move the OEM screen down, I have to extend the wires going to it so that it would reach its new location. I was hoping to find used wires and just build an extension cable but I am not having a lot of luck so I have no choice but to cut them and solder extension wires.

I have some old pictures in my gallery. Since then I have built a better enclosure and cleaned up the PC mount area but you can get the idea. I will post new pictures as soon as I get a chance.

I play MP3 and XM radio through the PC, plus DVD play and games if I wanted to. I also have hands free. Everything is controlled through on screen "front-ends" which is better than stereo controlls. I have presets and everything! Here is a picture of the front end I am using now. As you can see, you have all the controls you ever want to have.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts