Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any first-hand input on the ride quality difference (if any) between the 18" and 20" wheels?

·
Registered
114 Posts
ride quality, 18" wheels vs 20" wheels?

I don't have a comparison, but if you check the inflation levels and the don't exceed the max, the car ride is very smooth on 20s on the Murano., but not overly so.

This is coming from a guy that has a bad back aggravated by compression for the past 20 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
The diameter of the 18” and the 20” are the same, the sidewall of the 18” is greater than the 20”. Therefore you may experience more sway when corning and a softer ride with the 18”. All that, of course, depends on the tire design of the tires.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts
Canadave,

Obviously off-subject, but are you also active on the PizzaMaking Forum? Same user name, so that's why I ask. Take care!

Jim

Oh yeah, I had the 20" wheels on my 2009 LE and now again on my 2017.5. I like the handling and the looks. I have no issues with the ride. The MO's turning radius is greater with the 20" wheels. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The diameter of the 18” and the 20” are the same, the sidewall of the 18” is greater than the 20”. Therefore you may experience more sway when corning and a softer ride with the 18”. All that, of course, depends on the tire design of the tires.
I agree with one added comment, if you choose the 20" wheels, Platinum model, check to see what is the speed rating on the tires, H versus V. The V is a sturdier tire because of a stiffer sidewall which adds to a slight sportier feel.
Hope this helps:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a Platinum loaner for about a month that I put about 1100 miles on. I couldn't tell a difference really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canadave,

Obviously off-subject, but are you also active on the PizzaMaking Forum? Same user name, so that's why I ask. Take care!

Jim

Oh yeah, I had the 20" wheels on my 2009 LE and now again on my 2017.5. I like the handling and the looks. I have no issues with the ride. The MO's turning radius is greater with the 20" wheels. Hope this helps.
Hi Jim, yep, that's me--small world, this Internet thing, eh? ;) Hope your pizzamaking is going well.

Thanks for the input on the wheels. Is the turning radius really noticeably greater with the 20" wheels? That seems surprising to me--you'd think the radius would be determined more by the amount of turnability of the wheels, not their size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
20" tires will also cost you more!
A not insignificant consideration ;)

I'd normally just buy the SL and be done with it, but I like the idea of the intelligent cruise control with the Platinum. I suppose I could just get the Platinum, sell the slightly used 20" wheels, and buy 18" wheels--it'd probably wind up being a wash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey canadave, my two cents...

I have a 2016 Platinum with 20"s and have driven a 2010 Murano with 18" wheels. While not a perfect comparision, I did not notice any difference.

While the common feeling that the 20" wheel size (regardless of vehicle) will result in a harder ride is true, I think it is because the 20" size is often accompanied by a low profile aspect ratio tire...often 40 or 45. The Murano bucks this trend by supplying a 55 aspect ratio tire on the 20" wheel size. This leaves a lot of sidewall height. (The 18" size provides a 65 aspect ratio tire; positively skinny!)

Another point of reference I have is coming from a 2012 Maxima with 18" 45 aspect ratio tires. I find the Murano with 20"s much more compliant.

Like you, I was initially concerned with degraded ride quality with the 20"s on the Platinum. That fear was totally unfounded. The enjoyment of such extras as intelligent cruise, cooled seats, LED headlights, power rear seat back return, etc. has made the increased cost of the Platinum edition, for us, totally worth it.

And, as a last note, the Platinum model also provides Forward Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning. Lately, I have thought that perhaps I'm not infallible or invincible after all, and this new technology is very much appreciated.

Good Luck!
noboy

·
Registered
93 Posts
20" tires will also cost you more!
I have the PLAT and doing the math it was pretty insignificant considering that you buy tires every 3-4 years. The ride is excellent in both MO's (driven and been in both multiple times) and the Pinwheel rims on the PLAT are nicer than the rest of the line.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts
Is the turning radius really noticeably greater with the 20" wheels? That seems surprising to me--you'd think the radius would be determined more by the amount of turnability of the wheels, not their size.
Actually, that's something I read in the 2009 Murano specs. Since I started with and am continuing with 20" wheels, I never gave it a second thought. I did notice that the MO's turning radius was considerably greater than my 1971 MGB! :D

Take care!

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts