Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm driving home last Thursday night. I'm in a small construction zone, about 1 mile from my home. It's a two lane divided road that has been completely rebuilt and is now being landscaped with small trees, bushes, and sod. The lanes are reduced with orange construction barrels to barely one each direction.

I'm traveling at 25mph, about 1 1/2 lengths behind a late model silver Ford Taurus when all of a sudden I see the Taurus swerve about a foot to the right. That's about all the room we had. I see a ball of something about 20-24 inches in diameter come flying out from under the Taurus. I have no chance to avoid it or stop before it goes under the front of the Murano. I look in the mirror, expecting to see it come flying out the back, but nothing comes out the back of the Murano. I "coast" as much as possible the rest of the way home (still in the construction zone, so I can't stop) and just as I get to the driveway, I hear a slight squealing sound, almost like a bearing failing.

I get out of the Murano and look underneath and see the entire driveshaft, from front to rear, completely encased in the plastic mesh that is used for wrapping up trees and shrubs. The stuff is wrapped so tightly around the drive shaft that I can't get a grip on it without tools. It is very strong stuff and it becomes quickly apparent, that I've got a big job in front of me.

3 hours later, I have removed all of the plastic except for a chunk that is wedged into the front portion of the front oil seal where the drive shaft enters the coupling cover (page RFD-13 for those with the service manual).

Friday morning I call the dealer and describe the situation. We decide that towing (flat bedding) the Murano in for a check up is a good idea just to determine if there's been any damage internally to the rear final drive unit and I'm assured they'll get it inspected with a determination made by the end of the day.

There's good news and bad news. No damage has been done to the driveshaft or any of the rear final drive components. On the other hand, when you take the drive shaft apart to inspect it's entry point into the rear final drive, the front oil seal is not re-useable nor is the companion flange lock nut, and guess what? None of the parts is on hand locally. They do a search and found one of the flange lock nuts in California, but the front oil seal is on "National Back Order". Both parts are less than $10, but dealer says it could be a month for the front oil seal to arrive.

Anybody got a contact in the Nissan plant in Japan where the Murano's built or access to the parts bin of a Japanese dealer? How about a Japanese member of the site who could check for the part number? Part # is 38189-CA000.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Whoa! I hope they can get you the part and you're back on the road soon ... this time meshless!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this will get turned into the insurance since I carry a $1,000 deductible. With two sons of driving age, it's the only way to have somewhat reasonable insurance costs every six months.

I've also heard from a couple fo the internet parts dealers and they're all confirming the national back order on the oil seal.

Let's see, what do I want to rent for the next month.................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts