Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Anyone have any secret homemade recipes for getting out those crusty salt stains on the carpet? In the past, I've used a Bissel Little Green Machine with their cleaning solution and it does an alright job, but it's still noticable -- instead of a brilliant white crust, that area of the carpet appears slightly "faded."

My brother says to just keeping soaking/blotting it with a rag dampened with hot water. This will draw the salt to the surface and once it dries, just vacuum it up. Supposedly this has to be done a number of times to get rid of all the salt. I'm not sure I have the patience for this.

Yes, I have the "winter" floor mats, but there was some leakage around the edges.

Thanks.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I'm curious to hear about it as well. I suffer from the embarrassing leakage as well. :p

·
4,664 Posts
I have a steam cleaner I'm going to try. Right now it's at the In Laws, but I'll let you know how it works out.

In my winter driving excitement, I had no idea I was putting white stuff all over the carpet.

The rubber seemed to hold most of it in, but there's areas where I put my foot on it, that it's been rubbed in.

Good thing I used protection. The stock mats would be a real mess.

I feel sorry for those that live far enough south to not have to deal with this!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Canada and had tons of salt deposits on my black mats, as well as sand and dirt. Last week I removed the mats, applied simple hair shampoo to wet mats, rubbed in with a soft brush, laid them in the shower, removed and let dry overnight in our laundry room. You would think they were brand new.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
hehehee

bummer, salt

ewwwwwwww

:2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mort said:
I live in Canada and had tons of salt deposits on my black mats, as well as sand and dirt. Last week I removed the mats, applied simple hair shampoo to wet mats, rubbed in with a soft brush, laid them in the shower, removed and let dry overnight in our laundry room. You would think they were brand new.
Yes, but did you use Head & Shoulders to get rid of that flaky white stuff? :D Sorry ..... couldn't resist!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Wellm being frm Florida, we know a lot about Salt.
Light or heavy, it is up to the individual.
I personally go pretty, but then I use Cuervo Gold too.
Otherthan Margaritas we don't use a lot of salt down here........

BUT when I was in another life, we used to get salt stains on jeans and shoes, etc.

We used 1 tablespoon of VINEGAR to 1 cup of water.
Worked every time.

Vinegar is amazing stuff.

Homer

·
Registered
132 Posts
From a fellow Salt state. Michigan......
Try either
Pull em out at the power wash and spray em down with that.
Or 3m makes a stain remover that get out everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts