Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Noob here again...Just wanted to get your thoughts on what is the safe time for a road trip. In otherwords, when the engine is officially broken in. We currently have ~600 miles on the car and usually drive it in the city / highway with ranging speeds of 30 to 75 mph.

The dealer said that after 1000 miles we should be ok, but I wanted to again get your thoughts. They also said that we didn't need to worry about keeping our speed variable (during break in time) because there was a special lubricant in the engine.

Also, I posted a question about a rear view mirror w/ digital compass a while ago and got no responses. Can anyone give me some suggestions / recommendations on simple rear view mirror w/ a digital compass that I can install? I don't need auto dimming, just something simple.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Coness said:
Hi All,

Noob here again...Just wanted to get your thoughts on what is the safe time for a road trip. In otherwords, when the engine is officially broken in. We currently have ~600 miles on the car and usually drive it in the city / highway with ranging speeds of 30 to 75 mph.

The dealer said that after 1000 miles we should be ok, but I wanted to again get your thoughts. They also said that we didn't need to worry about keeping our speed variable (during break in time) because there was a special lubricant in the engine.

Also, I posted a question about a rear view mirror w/ digital compass a while ago and got no responses. Can anyone give me some suggestions / recommendations on simple rear view mirror w/ a digital compass that I can install? I don't need auto dimming, just something simple.

Thanks!!!
If you do a search, Ithink you will find that this topic has been discussed quite a bit. Opinions are different. Personally I believe some of the other members of this forum who think that 10 to 12k is the miles required to break-in the Murano engine. But it should be safe to travel with it after the first few hundred miles. I would still vary my speed and engine RPM as I don't think Nissan is using any special lubricant to break the engine in for me.

On the mirror, what is wrong with you existing digital compass mirror? This is a replacement I found after I googled it:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/nigvisrearvi.html

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
After 600 miles, your engine is most likely broken in enough for you to drive as you normally would.

Zelbekahn is right in that it might take 10-12k for the engine to be fully broken in (i.e. best performance and fuel economy). However, thats breaking in from normal driving, not the initial new engine period.

For what its worth, my 97 Maxima didn't really feel broken in until I hit 100,000 miles. Today, it does 30mpg on the highway doing 80mph. Brand new and even after 30,000 miles it never got that kind of fuel economy. Nissan built the VQ to last a long long time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I am sure this topic has been covered, but I didn't know if there were changes in the '05 model. Also, thanks for the reply on the rear view mirror. The S model doesn't come w/ this. I think it is much better than a bulky dashboard compass. I have seen many auto dimming ones w/ compasses, but none that are just straight up swap. I don't know anything about wiring, so just wanted a simple mirror w/ a battery operated compass. Anyhoot, thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Someone with an '05 FSM might be able to help answer the question of whether the compass mirror can be added directly as a swap on the S model.

Anyone out there?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Coness said:
thanks for the reply on the rear view mirror. The S model doesn't come w/ this.
If there is one thing I do not use in the MO (or don't even pay attention to) is the compass! To me it is quite usless anyhow because it can be off by 15 degrees and I would not even know it.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Zebelkhan
I agree, I never used mine as well. Actually, they are kinda silly here in Atlanta, our roads follow terrain, not the compass. You can be on I-85 north and find yourself pointing west or east.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I use it all the time.
I don't quite understand what you guys are using a compass for that requires better than 15 degree accuracy.....

I travel up and down the west Coast of FL.
I know that the Gulf of Mexico is west and I 75 is east.
I know some towns are north and some are south.
All I need to know the approx direction I am generally going in and I can get "unlost" rather quickly.

Whan I was forced (On biz) to rent a car that had no compass, I didn't like it one little bit.
But then I was a Boy Scout.:1:

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When I first purchased my Murano, I thought the compass was a useless item. Then slowly I began to notice it more, and now use it all the time. Like Homer, I especially miss it when I am out of town and driving a rental without that feature.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Thanks again for the replies...especially Zebelkhan for the links. That compass is cool, however not to sound like a stickler, but it kind of sticks out. Ideally I would like one that blends in w/ the rear view mirror. I don't think that one even exists as I cannot find one. If anyone finds one, please let me know!!!!!! I may have to just shell out some $$$ and buy one and get it professionally installed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Conness

I have a Honda Odyssey as my family car and it came without a auto dimming compass mirror. I simply had to have this option as I too use the compass for business appointments to assist with directions and help when in unfamiliar areas.

Anyway I purchased a Donnely aftermarket mirror and did the install myself. I got the mirror with the outside temp display so install was a bit more difficult having to wire through the firewall to place the temp sensor in the front wheel well. This should not be a requirement for you as I think the S modal may display oustide temp already and you can just get the compass auto dimming product that just requires power when the car is on.

In my opinion it is worth it to have it installed if you think you can't handle it. The new mirror in the van really was one of the best features that I added and it looks totally stock.

Try these links, some even have install instructions.

http://www.rpminnovations.com/rearview_mirrors.htm

https://magnadon.storesecure.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=5&cat=Auto-Dimming+Mirrors

Good Luck,

njmo

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
In a Murano Installation can be very easy. There are some of these mirrors that clip over the existing mirror and require only a positive and a negative 12 volt. The wires can be fed into the headliner right where the windshield and the headliner meet above the existing mirror. Remove the map lights and you will see the wires you have just put in. Just connect to the 12 volt to the map lights and put the map lights back. You are done! Granted, the auto dime and the compass will be on all the time but the automatic power off of the car will turn it off after a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts