Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna need some more storage in the MO for an upcoming trip... I need to get something on the roof there, but really hope someone has pics of different yakima racks/storage, so I can pick something that matches the MO as far as style is concerned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
842 Posts
04 copper sl
I have pics of my yakima rocket box on my MO and hopefully I will get them on line shortly. With my box on top I can still fit into a standard garage size with out hitting the garage door when it is up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello. My 2 cents' worth: We went through the same process after downsizing to MO from previous Suburbans. We carry bicycles a lot, in addition to needing more room on trips for general "stuff." We have the factory roof rack but have yet to use it. I settled on installing a class II hitch receiver, which will accept either a bike rack or a cargo rack. The cargo rack will accept three fairly large, flexible plastic, waterproof containers purchased cheap at WallyWorld. Some of the cargo rack manufacturers also offer custom, waterproof containers for the racks. We went with this solution becuase putting stuff on the roof raises the vehicle's center of gravity, creates additional wind noise on the highway which I find tiring, and decreases gas mileage more, due to extra aero drag, than carrying objects directly behind the vehicle. I also find it much easier to load stuff at waist level and below rather than on the roof.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good perspective, thanks! I am sure the cost is about the same too...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Saris Talon load bars and have Saris accesories that fit them. If you want to see what it looks like, give me an email. I live in San Diego too. I live in North Park and work in La Jolla.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I also have the Yakima towers clamped on my roof rack rails and an aero dynamic "box".

I would steer you away from that option, based primarily on the gas mileage penalty that the box will exact. Especially the way gas prices are moving right now.

The class II trailer hitch gives you a lot more options with a lot less wind resistance. It's not a big factor if your going a short distance, but whose gonna go a short distance with a roof box? Every time I've used it, it's been a trip of 500 miles or more.

Here's some pictures:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4289392511&mode=&idx=0

·
Registered
49 Posts
04CopperSL said:
I am sure the cost is about the same too...
Probably so. The good roof racks and accessories, e.g., Yakima, are pretty costly. I think we paid about $300 installed for a Hidden Hitch 1-1/4" receiver, and maybe $150 or so for the cargo rack. The plastic containers were almost free. Bike racks come in all styles and prices--in fact we have two different ones depending on how far we plan to travel. I paid around $20 at WallyWorld for a Master, stainless, locking hitch pin to hold things to the receiver. We'll still use the roof rack for bringing small quantities of lumber, etc., home from the local home improvement warehouses.

·
Registered
842 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
I also have the Yakima towers clamped on my roof rack rails and an aero dynamic "box".

I would steer you away from that option, based primarily on the gas mileage penalty that the box will exact. Especially the way gas prices are moving right now.

The class II trailer hitch gives you a lot more options with a lot less wind resistance. It's not a big factor if your going a short distance, but whose gonna go a short distance with a roof box? Every time I've used it, it's been a trip of 500 miles or more.

Here's some pictures:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html? id=4289392511&mode=&idx=0
I do not agree with your comment on the fuel economy as on my last trip to the mountains I average 10 lts/100 km instead of my usual 9.0lts/100 km. My rocket box seems to slip through the air and does not cause that much of a penalty in fuel economy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I prefer Thule as their designs score way more points in the cool department, especially their cargo boxes. Yakima is a little behind the times when it comes to constuction and, dare I say, fashion. I have experienced both systems and prefer Thule for performance and style.

Stoker, what speed and at what temperature are you driving at. 9ltrs/100k is quite good! I'm only getting 10 and there are no mountains here. Ahh the mountains, lucky you.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ADV said:
I prefer Thule as their designs score way more points in the cool department, especially their cargo boxes. Yakima is a little behind the times when it comes to constuction and, dare I say, fashion. I have experienced both systems and prefer Thule for performance and style.

Stoker, what speed and at what temperature are you driving at. 9ltrs/100k is quite good! I'm only getting 10 and there are no mountains here. Ahh the mountains, lucky you.
My speed is usually set at 100 Km/h to get that type of fuel economy. I am going on a trip up to Edmonton to see my daughter play in the provincal indoor soccer finals, so I will do another fuel check and let you know. I am hoping to go to Edmonton and back on one tank.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
haha come up here to edmonton stoker and back on one tank of gas. you know how us albertans drive. especially with the mo.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have the Yakima towers and the Thule cargo box. I believe the model was the Evolution 1800 and it certainly looks aerodynamic. The color also comes pretty close to matching the Muranos color too.

Regardless, I still see a much more noticeable drop in fuel economy with the box than when I use the hitch out back. The weight is the same in either case, too.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i have nissans canadian cross rails(not screwed into the side rails)and the yakima platinum pro 12 roof box. it's one of the more sleeker boxes out there and it allows the mo's tailgate to open totally since it slopes up in the back. with the box on the fuel economy dosn't drop too to much but its noticable when driving 150km/h on an pretty windy day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We were looking into a roof rack for a big camping trip this coming September, decided against it as we'll have plenty of room inside, plus the cost, but one thing I found, is that Sears sells a clone of the Thule boxes for quite a bit less money. We were looking for one that was on the shorter side, front to back, ideally to have both clearance for the tail gate and still be able to get some light in through the sunroof, and found one at the store itself that wasn't on line, that was I think around 15 cubic feet, and only 50-some odd inches long for less than $150, which is significantly less than the Thule boxes. The Sears boxes are just rebadged Thule ones. I do agree that if you don't mind not being able to open the tailgate with it attatched, a hitch mounted box might be a better way to go. I haven't actually seen one mounted, but it seems easier to get to, more out of the airflow, etc. Don't know about weight capacity, I think the Class III Draw-Tite has like a 300 lb tongue weight, which I think would be the max weight of your box, box mount, and all the stuff in it....

·
Registered
49 Posts
ToddEichel said:
I do agree that if you don't mind not being able to open the tailgate with it attatched, a hitch mounted box might be a better way to go.
Just to clarify: Our cargo rack permits the tailgate to be opened with a load in place, using load boxes that I guess to be 18-20 inches high. Without getting it too far back, the distance from the receiver to the rack can be adjusted to permit this--actually the bottom of the gate is quite a bit above the bottom of the rear bumper where the receiver is located.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts