Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search for "canoe" but came up with nothing....has anyone used their MO to transport a canoe? My son and I have a canoe trip coming up, and I'm interested in purchasing racks and/or crossbars that will allow me to throw the canoe on the roof.

My question(s) are.......

1. Are the Nissan crossbars sturdy enough to do this?
2. Is so, do I only need the crossbars?
3. Or should I purchase something from Thule or Yakima instead?

Any advice from anyone that uses a Mo to transport a canoe would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Just got the crossbars... they are pretty simple. Once installed just secure the canoe to them and off ya go.

·
Registered
554 Posts
How wide is the canoe?

If you have a wide canoe (like my Coleman square stern), you have to be careful that the canoe doesn't fit OVER the roof rack, rather than on top of it. If it will fit, you need two people to load it to make sure there are no mishaps during loading. It should be doable, though. Using an abundance of caution, however, and my REI dividend check, I plan on buying a Yakima system with longer crossbars. Should provide a sturdier (i.e., wider) platform for my caone.

Jim C.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke down and visited the local Thule dealer. I got the 50" crossbars, the Crossroads footings and the Canoe Carrier.
I've posted pics in my gallery

Canoe Rack

Feel free to ask any questions. Installation was very easy. Total cost (including 5% Mass. state tax) was $308.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts