Nissan Murano Forum banner

rpm drop off at 15mph

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  saito 
#1 ·
I have noticed that whenever I slow down to about 14-19mph, the rmps drop to like 700-800 rpm drastically and then spike up to approx. 1000rpm or whatever is appropriate for the speed. I noticed this a while ago, but assumed it's kind of normal. Does this happen for any of you? One reason I can speculate for this is that the torque converter disengages but I thought that this happens at a lot higher speeds? Quite franly I am just guessing. What are your thoughts?

I got '04 2FWD Mo.

#2 ·
Mine does it. I also feel a surge if the car engine is just ideling (for instance when I am slowly coming to a stop). I believe it is because at 19 mph the torque converter disengages and CVT comes on line (or the other way around if you are slowing down). That is normal.

#4 ·
It is normal. It's the TQ (torque converter) disengaging...

#5 ·
zebelkhan said:
Mine does it. I also feel a surge if the car engine is just ideling (for instance when I am slowly coming to a stop). I believe it is because at 19 mph the torque converter disengages and CVT comes on line (or the other way around if you are slowing down). That is normal.
Actually the CVT is always active. Saying it is not active would be like saying that on an automatic, the gears are not active if the TC is locked up. You are correct though, about the torque converter locking up and unlocking at 19mph.

#7 ·
With the TQ engaging and disengaging @ 19 mph, this must be related the the AWD lock only usable under 19mph.

So could AWD be damaging the CVT (for those with cracked CVT's or leakiy CVTs)? Or am I speaking in circles?

#9 ·
I doubt it has to do with the AWD lock mode since AWD is technically active at all speeds if slippage is detected. So if high speed AWD will damage the CVT, the AWD system should not be automatic at higher speeds.

#10 ·
I have RWD and still feel this phenomena, so it is TQ...

#12 ·
Oops!!

Indeed, FWD......sorry

#14 ·
yep, mine does that too (FWD).

i actually dislike that a lot because when you are, say, exiting a freeway and going under the bridge onto another freeway and have to slow down to 15-20 mph because of another car in front, the tranny does that thing and since you are constantly turning the car sort of jerks to the side and so do you in your seat.. i kind of can predict the moment it's gonna do this now so i am ready but it was really noticable before i got used to it.

:(

#15 ·
:rolleyes:

#16 ·
I'm glad I did a *search* before posting a new topic.

I was going to post: "I sometimes notice a surge in the car when I'm coming to a stop. Am I losing my mind, or is this normal?"

Now I don't have to...everybody else feels it, too. I still may be losing my mind, but at least I'll have company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.