Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I make a fairly tight RH turn, I am hearing what sounds like the tire rubbing on the outside of the tread. I can feel the vibration through the gas pedal and the floorboard. It will change tones slighlty if I go over bumps. It's not a constant smooth tone. It is a very fast up and down sound, like treads is the only way I describe it.
My Murano has 64,000 miles and the tires are only a few months old. It has been getting worse lately. I now hear it when going over the frost heaves we are getting here in NH.
It gets louder if when making the RH turn, if the road is banked in towards the turn so that the weight is not all on the left side.
I don't think it's the tires. I rotate them every 5000 miles and see no unusual wear patterns on the tires. When rotating the tires, the fronts change sides and go back. The sound is still in the front.
I'm hoping its not the CVT or the front CV joints.
Any thoughts??

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Did the noise start happening as soon as the new tires were put on the car? If so, then the tires may be the culprit. However, if the new tires are the OEM Goodyears then that is doubtful.

I would suggest having a mechanic look at the wheel bearings and the CV joints. Either of them could produce the vibrations/sounds your are experiencing.

Let us know what you find out.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
What size tires did you get?

Are you hearing the noise from the left side or the right side?

I agree with njjoe's suggestions. If its a CV joint, the noise will usually from the opposite side of the turn (i.e. left CV joint during right turns, since weight shifts to the left).

·
Registered
781 Posts
CV joint is easier to detect at low speeds.

I'm going with tires. Check air pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Could be wheel bearings as well. You should hear it change in tone as your speed increases. Sometimes though I have heard wheel bearings be silent until you slow down.
Could be many things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have what sounds to be the same problem with mine. When making a right hand turn, it sounds like the wheel is hitting the inside of the wheel well. I've looked for signs of rubbing, and so has the dealer, but there are no signs of it at all. I park in a parking garage that is all right hand turns, and every time I hit an expansion joint it makes the rubbing sound and jerks the wheel towards straight.

I've had the dealer look at the CV joints and bearings with a scope, but they found nothing. To make things even worse, the problem is intermittent, and whenever I bring it into the dealer it of course won't do it. Very frustrating. My Murano has 43k miles, and is becoming a lemon with more rattles and noises to drive me crazy every day!!! Now I need to figure out why a few seconds after I turn of the car there is what sounds to be a bad electric motor turning under the hood on the right side. I'm thinking it's some kind of diagnostic thing, but keeps getting louder.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
pete1314 said:
I have what sounds to be the same problem with mine. When making a right hand turn, it sounds like the wheel is hitting the inside of the wheel well. I've looked for signs of rubbing, and so has the dealer, but there are no signs of it at all. I park in a parking garage that is all right hand turns, and every time I hit an expansion joint it makes the rubbing sound and jerks the wheel towards straight.

I've had the dealer look at the CV joints and bearings with a scope, but they found nothing. To make things even worse, the problem is intermittent, and whenever I bring it into the dealer it of course won't do it. Very frustrating. My Murano has 43k miles, and is becoming a lemon with more rattles and noises to drive me crazy every day!!! Now I need to figure out why a few seconds after I turn of the car there is what sounds to be a bad electric motor turning under the hood on the right side. I'm thinking it's some kind of diagnostic thing, but keeps getting louder.
The electric motor sound you hear is likely the fuel injectors. I can hear it on my car too, and on every fuel injected car I've ever owned, for a few seconds after its shut off. It might sound as if its getting louder only because you are listening for it! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the similar problem as well but it is related to the left hand side. Due to that my Murano was involved in a hit and run and my driver wheel got bent inwards as well other body damages. When I drive straight, brake or doing slight left turns on a curve. The sound I hear like a high and low pulsing "vroom" or as the tire rubbing agains't wheel well. After car got repaired from body shop they then taken to dealership for some mechanical issue related to the sound. Dealer found out that the left front wheel bearing hub assembly need replacement. When that was done the sound problem remains the same so I probably be thinking about the left CV joint. Here are some pictures of my hit and run situation. Luckily I got a witness and the other driver license plate. He not only hit my car parked but went on to another street hitting other cars, which his car ended up total loss and himself in the hospital. Probably end up losing his license assuming to be convicted for DUI.

kjc219 said:
When I make a fairly tight RH turn, I am hearing what sounds like the tire rubbing on the outside of the tread. I can feel the vibration through the gas pedal and the floorboard. It will change tones slighlty if I go over bumps. It's not a constant smooth tone. It is a very fast up and down sound, like treads is the only way I describe it.
My Murano has 64,000 miles and the tires are only a few months old. It has been getting worse lately. I now hear it when going over the frost heaves we are getting here in NH.
It gets louder if when making the RH turn, if the road is banked in towards the turn so that the weight is not all on the left side.
I don't think it's the tires. I rotate them every 5000 miles and see no unusual wear patterns on the tires. When rotating the tires, the fronts change sides and go back. The sound is still in the front.
I'm hoping its not the CVT or the front CV joints.
Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sorry to see the MO damaged.

Are these the pictures from the accident scene? Were you stopped at the time? If so, have them check the right front wheel and suspension assembly as hitting the curb sidways so hard to cause it to jump up to sidewalk could do some damage as well.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to see your MO got nailed. Hopefully the drunk will also get nailed!!:3:

Here's hoping you get a mechanic with magic fingers who will get your MO back in tip-top shape.:7:

-njjoe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Okay good news fellas =) Nissan dealership found out what the problem was. Due to my hit and run while the car was parked and the other driver smashed onto my driver side. This caused my vehicle while parked as mentioned to be shifted onto the curve sitting infront of my lawn, and bending the suspension or anything mechanical damage. Car was approximately facing at a 35-45 degree angle. Not only Nissan replaced the left front wheel bearing and hub assembly. Though they did not know the right front wheel bearing and hub assembly also needed replacement, which was what caused the car to continue making that rubbing friction noise. For example; car running the wheels while tire seem to be hitting the wheel well. However, since car been through an alignment and tire rotating. There was no way it was related to tires rubbing agains't anything. Now my Murano sound much better again :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya and I purchased my Murano on June 5, 2005. I had it for about 6-7 months now, and this happens. It's very unavoidable but hopefully the other driver get his license suspended. Since the car is insured under his mom.

njjoe said:
Ouch!! Sorry to see your MO got nailed. Hopefully the drunk will also get nailed!!:3:

Here's hoping you get a mechanic with magic fingers who will get your MO back in tip-top shape.:7:

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
muran0 said:
...Due to my hit and run while the car was parked and the other driver smashed onto my driver side. This caused my vehicle while parked as mentioned to be shifted onto the curve sitting infront of my lawn, and bending the suspension or anything mechanical damage....
That is what I said....!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the great help. Since you seem to got the idea at first before the nissan tech guy telling me he maybe know what the problem is. Weird part is when they replaced the assembly on the left side. It is covered under insurance company but when it comes to the right side then they just cover it under warranty. However, I don't care since there is no need for me to pay anything.

zebelkhan said:

That is what I said....!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally fixed!

Well finally after 4 trips to the dealer, and having it there this last time for 10 days straight, they finally fixed it. Just as I told them my guess was the first time, it was a bad wheel bearing. I had to basically hold the loaner vehicle ransom to get them to try replacing that, I told them I would not pick up my car until they fixed it this time. They of course thought it was about 5 other things first, so tred replacing the struts, and several other things before takign my advice.

Oddly enough, they did the two recalls too and the seatbelt one fixed a rattle in the back that has plagued this car since i got it, and they could never trace. So now I can cross two noises off the list.

They didn't charge me for anything, but that was alot of time off for trips to the dealer, and time without my own car.

Next trip will be for the front doors which are sagging. :( They used to line up, but now the front door is almost a quarter inch lower then the back, on both sides. Sure makes it look like a poorly made vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer thinks that is my problem also

I did finally get the vehicle to the dealer to check out the noise and as in Petes case, the noise stopped. They did guess that it is the wheel bearings. Apperently is has happened to them in the past where the noise would stop now and then. The techs mentioned that the car they had this problem with, also uses the same wheel bearings as the Murano. I still haven't had it fixed because it happens occasionally. I just hope the wheel doesn't need to fall off for the dealer to be sure and I really don't want to spend the money until I have too. I'll just wait and see. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts