Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it snowed here a good 10 inches yesterday. no big deal...i have my awd murano. driving home last nite on the highway, at around 50 mph i noticed that the steerign wheel started rumbling real bad. i mean real bad, i thought the thing was going to fly off. i remembered having this problem with my maxima once, when i went to have new tires in and they forgot to balance the wheels. so in the morning when i got up real early to go to the nissan service, i noticed that the vibration was totally gone. was i nuts? :confused: when i met with the tech and i told him my problem, he immediately asked, "was there snow on my tires?" then i thought to myself..."DUH 10 inches remember". but i just said, " i assume so". he quickly told me that there was snow inside my rims, and that all i need to do is clean out the rims. that an oz. of snow could throw off the wheel balance. i was glad that i didn't have to leave my car, but a bit upset that a little snow like that can throw my car into a frenzy. like the elephant afraid of the mouse. either way, the MO is ok. i'm ok. we're ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All cars & trucks will do this. Some more so than others, depending on the size and style of the rims. A quick solution I've used before, while on the run, is to simply drive over the rumble strips and leave your tires on the strip for a little bit. Usually the harsh vibration from the rumble strips will clear off any snow that stuck to the inside of the rim.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Bigger wheels tend to do that. The first time it happened to me, I had just driven my Jeep through 3 feet deep snow for quite a distance. I had gotten stuck eventually, and had been pulled out. When I got on the road, I had a vibration at 40mph, and it got worse the faster I drove. I was afraid I had messed something up by towing it out, but after it warmed up a little, the snow melted and the problem went away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's exactly what happened...
"I had just driven my Jeep through 3 feet deep snow for quite a distance...When I got on the road, I had a vibration at 40mph, and it got worse the faster I drove. I was afraid I had messed something up "
the next morning when i went to drive it to the dealer....problem gone. well its good to know...i thought i damaged something.
:2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
THank goodness i wasnt the only one

yest, i too had the heavily rumbing in the steering wheel when i hit 60mph.. i pulled over and inspected the tires thinking it was a flat or something but everything appeared ok. of course today u dont feel anything. i'm glad i wasnt the only one. i was so scared my wheels were coming off.

ny metro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts