Nissan Murano Forum banner

rumble near front wheels getting louder, smooths out in moderate turns

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  jackc396 
#1 ·
ok so...we bought our 2011 Murano couple years ago. It had 165,000 miles on it. the rumble has always been there...now we have 185,660 miles and, the in the front end, or engine compartment, the rumble that has started to become considerably louder. i always thought it might just be loud tires, as different brands can have different sound going down the street. the tires are almost done. and we are going to buy new tires soon. i cannot find any free play in the front end. any ideas what could that rumble be? thx in advance!

#2 ·
Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. When you say the rumble "smooths out in moderate turns" is it specifically when you turn in one direction vs the other? With a bad wheel bearing, turning in the direction opposite the bad wheel bearing will typically make the noise louder because more weight shifts on to that side while turning in the opposite direction will make the noise diminish because weight is shifted off of the bad bearing. For example, if you turn right and the noise gets louder, but turning left makes the noise softer then that suggests the left-hand wheel bearing is bad.

Nevertheless, you should rotate the front tires to the back and see if the noise changes to rule out whether or not it's the tires.

#3 ·
You said that the tires are almost gone. If the tires have "cupping" on the outer edges of the front tires, you will hear a rumble that will increase with turning and as the condition worsens, the sound will get louder. A bearing rumble would not last 20,000 miles. It would have failed long before now if that is the issue.

'Cupping" is usually caused by a slight front end alignment issue. When purchasing your new tires, be sure to get a 4 wheel alinement. Also ask for a full "in the air" suspension inspection of all suspension components, front and rear.

Let us know what happens after you've had new tires installed. If no issues are uncovered, I'm guessing that you'll have a smooth quiet ride, like a Murano should be.

Have a good day.

#4 ·
First thing to do is to rotate the tires front to back and see if the noise goes away. if it does, then it's the tires; if not, then it is probably a front wheel hub.

#5 ·
As i carefully checked the tires for cupping, and i noticed feathering on the inside and outside tread bars on the driver side front wheel. the other tires are wearing well. i am hoping just alignment will do it, where as there wasn't any freeplay when i jack that wheel up . i will check back after new tires and alignment are done. thanks much.

#6 ·
Check front driver's strut. A weak/failing strut/shock absorber will cause that type of wear to it's tire. Look for torn bellows, a wet look where shaft exits, or excessive bounce when forcefully pushing down on that corner of the car.

With the age and miles of your Murano, you might want to just invest in front struts and rear shocks. You can get OEM aftermarket front strut assemblies and back shocks for less then $300 total. If you do any kind of wrenching, it's an day of labor or less to install all four. Personally, I've changed all four on a 2002 Infinity in two hours in my garage at home.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

#7 ·
I agree with PaulDay. This is not a wheel bearing problem. Change the tires as planned, but also change strut assemblies and check for any other worn suspension components. KYB currently has a rebate program going on until 06/30/2020 and they make good struts. They manufacture complete assemblies (Strut-Plus as they call it) so you don't have to take the originals apart. You can do this job yourself if you have basic hand tools or have a professional do it. The former will save you quite a bit of money (obviously).

Reactions: jackc396
#8 ·
Thanks PaulDay and INeedCoffee. I am going with the KYB Strut-plus. And KYB back shocks. that's a good deal, 318.00 shipped, delivered, and after rebate, from Rock. the tires can wait a little bit longer I can do them the beginning of next month. I really don't want to put on new tires and have one feather while I'm waiting to do the Struts. iwill rotate the feather one to the back.
Edit:did the rotation, now there is less noise. Struts. I'll do those first,
Then tires and alignment with in air suspension check. Thanks, you guys are good. I appreciate the insights. I'll come back and update how it's going.

#10 ·
Update...installed KYB Strut-Plus (2) in front. took a test drive and the difference is like night and day. nice ride. cant wait to get the rear KYB gas shocks done. rumble still there a bit prolly due to the feathered tires caused by the old struts. but it is definately quieter. many thanks to all who contributed. you guys helped me NOT hafta do a wheel bearing, at least not at this time, only to have to do the struts anyway. very cool. i will update when the back shocks are done.
-Jack

#11 ·
Looking like you've got a handle on the problem.

Get your new tires as soon as you can after changing the rear shocks. Changing the front struts has changed the steering geometry. With the new tires, and the new shocks installed, be sure to pay the little extra for an all wheel alignment, instead of just the front.

Since you got this Murano used, you'll be surprised at the ride comfort increase with the new struts/shocks and tires installed.

Have a good day.

#12 ·
The rear shocks on my 07 Murano were a 45-minute job in the driveway with a floor jack. Two bolts on top, one stud on the bottom, no struts or springs to worry about. Easiest DIY job there is on my Murano.

#14 ·
Would this set from Harbor Freight Tools work for you? It looks like they might...

#18 ·
FIXED: we were all wrong. it was the bearing to the intermediary shaft. i was replacing/ replaced passenger side bearing first when i destroyed the threads on the intermediate and CV shaft. it was in dire need of that bearing where it has 2 bolts bolting the intermediary shaft in place. it was very loose. good thing i bashed the threads :)
the wife is very pleased it is finally resolved and drives and rides great! thanks.!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.