Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am brand new to the Murano family (just bought a 2003 SL), and had a basic question. When the engine is cold and I depress the accelerator, I hear a very distinct 'running water' sound coming from the front right of the engine. It almost sounds as if water is flowing through a rain gutter. This sound disappears when the engine has warmed up. Is this normal? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It could be water/coolant flowing through the heater core. Next time, try it with the climate control set to off, and see if you hear the noise. If its gone, bingo, the heater core, in which case, its normal.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Not sure if you are supposed to hear the water flow in the heater core. Maybe you are low on coolant?

·
4,601 Posts
That would be my guess as well. As it warms up and expands, it fills the void that's gurgling.

Just a guess though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you can hear gurgling or "running water sound", it usually means you have air in the cooling system eg heater core....as the engine warms up, the thermostat opens and hot coolant from the engine is pumped through the heater core displacing the air...check coolant level and add if necessary.....most vehicles will purge the air out of the cooling system after several cycles of use...if the gurgling doesn't go away, take in for service...you may have to have the air purged from a heater hose or something....you may want to check for leaks...why is there air in the system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

thanks so much for your replies! I did just check the coolant reservoir and it is empty. I guess the fact that the cap for the reservoir was missing before I bought it should have clued me in. I will go by some coolant and add it. Any particular brand I should choose?

Thanks again and have a Happy New Year everybody!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
NewMur..you need the green stuff coolant..

and not the dexcol (orange) one. Dont use the wrong type.
I use prestone brand for my coolant

I will go by some coolant and add it. Any particular brand I should choose?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I second Sugarrush's comment. Easiest thing to do is to buy a bottle of the premixed universal coolant from Prestone (i.e. "big yellow is taking over" hehe).

Fill the overflow tank to the bottom of the cold line first, and then check after a couple days to see if you need to add more. It might take a couple refills if you are really low on coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts