Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 03 and a serious problem with rust around the top of the gas tank - I'm not very technical - its the part where you put the gas in- maybe called the gas tank neck or something - it is quite severely rusted. The seriice engine light comes on occasionally and especially if the gas level is low.
The dealer wants to replace it to the tune of about $1000-
I cannot believe that a car of this age should have such major rust -
they have suggested that I got salt on it during the winter - but really how can that happen ? I do what everyone else does - open the cap only when fueling - I believe that it is either a faulty part - or its a design flaw - how can Nissan use materials that can rust so easily?
Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas - I am just sick at having to shell out this much money for what I consider a parts/design flaw

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
willo-

Whoever told you the filler neck rusted because you got salt on it is full of [email protected] If you were filling the tank with a salt slurry then they would have a point. The dealer is just trying to scare you off.

Press the issue. You can also contact Nissan Consumers Affairs (800-NISSAN1), let them know that this dealer gave you a lame explanation and plead your case. With a little luck they may offer warranty consideration.

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
willo, have you had this car since new? Or did you buy it as a used car?
If used..........

well it "could" be a flood car.

Homer

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Per Nissan's warranty manual, Murano is warranteed against rust through for 5 years regardless of mileage. Some exceptions such as improper maintenace exist but I did not see any related to your issue. Call Nissan hotline and press the issue and do not take no for an answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I agree with Homer that something is fishy. We have thousands of members and not once did I hear of a rust problem in the fill cap area. I do wonder what effects spilled gasoline may have if left sitting in the well area?:8:
Bob1

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
To rust, the part must be exposed to the elements for a long time, and even if this was a flood car, other parts would rust before the filler neck area does. Believe me, I used to run a wrecking yard with loads of flood cars coming in at times.....:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
willo said:
Hi I have an 03 and a serious problem with rust around the top of the gas tank - I'm not very technical - its the part where you put the gas in- maybe called the gas tank neck or something - it is quite severely rusted. The seriice engine light comes on occasionally and especially if the gas level is low.
The dealer wants to replace it to the tune of about $1000-
I cannot believe that a car of this age should have such major rust -
they have suggested that I got salt on it during the winter - but really how can that happen ? I do what everyone else does - open the cap only when fueling - I believe that it is either a faulty part - or its a design flaw - how can Nissan use materials that can rust so easily?
Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas - I am just sick at having to shell out this much money for what I consider a parts/design flaw

Post a pic so the forensic scientist can take care of it. :)

NZM

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just spent my holiday weekend driving back to New Orleans from NY in the '04 MO I just bought from a friend. So as a new owner, I decided to browse for issues I should know about and found this thread... about practically the SAME STORY with my MO. My friend asked me about this problem a few months ago and I suggested she have the dealership replace the tube. They told her it was because of the salty winters and that it would cost several hundred dollars to replace it. I told her they were out of their minds if they thought road salt was to blame, but she is not the sort to push things like that. I'm beginning to think they know it's a problem and salt is their excuse for not offering to replace it under warranty. I'm going to take this one to a southern dealership and see if they will honor the rust warranty... some of the suspension components look not well treated at the rear too. I'll let you know what they say. I also happened to have my camer with me today, so here is what willo's probably looks like as well:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Nissan designed and built the MO with North American consumers in mind. The MO should be adequately protected from the environmental conditions it is expected to face. Did the Nissan engineers not know that at least half of the North American roads see salt at least once a year? If the filler neck is rusting it is because Nissan is not using the proper material. Nissan should step up to the plate, accept responsibility, and correct the problem.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Something isn't right about this. The same part is used for all MOs.... like everyone the gas nozel hits that metal and rubs on it. Why would your rust and noone elses (on this entire board I think)

Before I had a dealer "fix" it, I would try it get the rust off on a small area... it is doesn't come back then remove the rest of the rust and call it a day.

Its like someone put "fake" rust there. Like I said something is off here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ijust noticed yesterday when filling up that my '03 has some rust at the bottom of the filler neck. It's not as severe as the one reported here but the same problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Fake" rust... that's funny, I think I saw a can of that on the shelf the other day at Autozone, but I passed on it.

If there's two of us with the same problem, there have to be more and they're just not here to report it. I wouldn't have mentioned that mine is doing that had I not seen willo's post. I'm going to get to Nissan, hopefully soon, and see what a southern dealership has to say about it. Thanks for the advice and opinions, too.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
OK fake rust is funny but I was thinking that it may not be rust. OK I'm probably way off here. Keep us posted and if I need a can of fake rust I know where to go. :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was funny - I LOL!

I'd be delighted to find out that this is not rust, but I was also just told by the original owner that her service dept cleaned the rust off and applied some petroleum jelly and called it fixed. Of course, as soon as the jelly wore off, the rust was right back.

I'm just still trying to wrap my brain around two separate service depts blaming road salt...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I can see rust being on the outside of the filler neck, but the inside?
WTF?
How could salt get there?
Hmmmmmmmmm.............

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Stuff a rag in the neck, take some fine steel wool and clean the rusty area. Now that it has been exposed, you may have to do this as a regular maintenance item as an alternative to replacing the neck. Thoroughly clean (or replace) the cap gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rust

Thanks for your feedback and input everyone - WOW I LOVE this forum!!
My tank looks much like the tank shown in Tech_guy's photo - but worse! And now someone else has mentioned a slight problem (Goldmu)
and Homer - yup I bought it new-
I am as careful as the next person in filling up the gas - I cannot ever think of an incident where gas would have been left standing in the gas well- or when salt would have had a chance to sit inside the gas cap for any length of time.
I am pretty religious at keeping the car clean of salt and dirt in the winter-
I have printed all of your comments to arm myself against the tech staff at the dealership - I have to act fast because I am at 97K and know that the warranty is up soon - I have asked them to bring in the District service rep for a look but they have said no - I guess I'll try to contact Nissan here directly-
I just feel it's been one thing after another with this car - hmm maybe need to look around for something new!
I would definately be interested in hearing from more people with this problem! That pending $1000 dollar repair bill is making me crazy - thats a lot of shoes!!!:D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
can't you buy like a rust inhibitor in a can and just clean off the rust and spray down that part??... well.. this is if nissan dosn't honour a warranty repair in it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts