Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some rusting already.. not pleased.. I have a 2004 Silver SL, and I just noticed rusting on the roof, near the right passenger side.

Specifically, it's the front end of the roof rails meets the metal roof, near the windshield. I'll have to upload a picture when it's brighter outside..

Any ideas as to why and what to do about it?!?!?!

:3:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Nissan has a 60 month (unlimited mileage) warranty against corrosion. If you do not see damage due to a stone chip and such, take it to dealer and demand repair under warranty.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Z-

I think the corrosion warranty only pertains to perforation of the sheet metal, not surface rust. However, I would still take it to the dealer and see what he says.

-njjoe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
could it be rail dust???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what rail dust is...

but it definitely rusting...

I'll take a picture this weekend and post - I'm due for an oil change in a few weeks, and will bring it in to have it looked at...

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
samwlee-

Rail dust are extremely small airborne metal particles that settle on, and can become embedded in, your paint. The rail dust comes primarily from two sources - railroads (almost three-quarters of all cars are shipped by rail in the US) and car/truck brakes.

I would doubt that rail dust is the source of your rust.

-njjoe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had my vehicle in for service for a bunch of stuff.. I pointed out the rust, and the service tech said they would repaint the area, but it would take 4 days... I'll give an update when it's all done.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Watch out for the sunroof rust too

NZM

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of the rust on my roofline/railing area:

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is another pic of the rust:

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Better get that thing fixed, before it eat your MO like cancer~

NZM

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now I know why I like the orange MO....it will hide ugly rust in it's later years!! LOL

Dave

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can see the roof rail but I don't follow wher that rubber gasket is lcoated.... what is the angle/view we are looking at?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
You know that really hard to believe

In this day of modern vehicle construction to see rust like that is really not acceptable. :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gonzo,

The rust is above the passenger side windshield. So I took the picture standing in front of the right passenger wheel...

I will be dropping my MO off in a few weeks to the body shop. Gonna take 4 days.. dunno why that long, unless they are re-doing the entire roof...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
holy cow... that's rediculous.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
well I have to admit. I'm VERY disappointed with the paint quality on the roof line for the Murano's

my 2003, has over a DOZEN quarter inch rust spots.. (small pin hole, and bubbling under ) the dealer will not cover the work as it's due to rocks. but still, I have not seen this thin a paint job by other manufacturers.

I have the 3M stone guard on the rest of the vehicle. guess they missed the roof line in the design of where to put it..

I can just imagine what it's going to get this fixed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts