Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 MO SE, 31K miles........ I was washing it yesterday and noticed rust spots under the rear window on the hatch.....

#1. Is rust covered under warranty?
#2. If not, how can i prevent further damage?

:(

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Duro Extend is a great rust stopper, worked for me on many different applications. Follow the instructions, turns oxidation into plastic.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
As I recall you are covered only if it can be determined to have started from the "inside out". Something that starts externally (stone chip) will not be covered.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I heard the rust warranty is only vaild in states that do not use salt in the winter. Chicago uses more salt than anywhere - and we don't even get snow anymore.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
how dunno how that's possible since the hatch is plastic. maybe it's just rail dust that's stuck to the car as we had on our rims...

·
Registered
719 Posts
nissanlove said:
how dunno how that's possible since the hatch is plastic. maybe it's just rail dust that's stuck to the car as we had on our rims...
99% sure nissanlove is correct about the rail dust sitting on the surface of the plastic and rusting. Try a claybar and I bet it takes the "rust" right off.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ohh man this year the rail dust has been really bad. the pearly whiteness of our mo is speckled with a load of little rust spots. and the amount of chipping around the door edges is horrible this year. brutal brutal winter. the paint is in rough shape this year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What exactly is 'rail dust'? If in fact you ever did have rust on your ride, a product that has always worked for me has been http://www.por15.com/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gonzo said:
As I recall you are covered only if it can be determined to have started from the "inside out". Something that starts externally (stone chip) will not be covered.
Are you sure ? It is sheet metal, and I noticed a few rust spots on my hood from chipped paint. I thought that the rust warranty covers the sheet metal regardless whether its covered with paint or not, can someone correct me on this ? I find it very worrying that my 1 year old MO is already showing rust spots, that's crazy!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
drsteven-

The answer you are looking for can be found in the Warranty Information Booklet in the Owners Manual folder.

Surface rust, due to stone chips, is NOT covered by the warranty.

-njjoe

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts