Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 murano with 40000 mi used in mild winters. There is excessive rust on most frame parts and the exhaust system. However the dangerous event was when a front coil spring shattered seemingly from rust intrusion. Upon removal the opposite spring was showing signs of deterioration with failure imminent. Has anyone else experienced near catastrophic failure due to premature rust?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have a 2016 murano with 40000 mi used in mild winters. There is excessive rust on most frame parts and the exhaust system. However the dangerous event was when a front coil spring shattered seemingly from rust intrusion. Upon removal the opposite spring was showing signs of deterioration with failure imminent. Has anyone else experienced near catastrophic failure due to premature rust?
I don't recall hearing of any 3rd gen springs rusting away... Surface rust is to be expected where salt is used. Springs are made of a type of metal that would take a long time to be compromised by rust IMO...

Can you post photos of the spring and the other rust?

If yours shattered, I would think it was defective, probably an issue during heat treatment making it too brittle...

I would report it to the NHTSA:

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't recall hearing of any 3rd gen springs rusting away... Surface rust is to be expected where salt is used. Springs are made of a type of metal that would take a long time to be compromised by rust IMO...

Can you post photos of the spring and the other rust?

If yours shattered, I would think it was defective, probably an issue during heat treatment making it too brittle...

I would report it to the NHTSA:

I think I will report it. It seems they used many inferior quality parts on this vehicle.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
That is pretty odd. Any part can be faulty, but that's one that definitely should be covered under warranty. It's a safety-related failure.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I think I will report it. It seems they used many inferior quality parts on this vehicle.
Hmmm, I take it back regarding thinking surface corrosion is going to compromise suspension springs. In your 2nd photo it appears the corrosion is infiltrating into the spring and compromised it...weird... It also occurred where the plastic coating has flaked off, and where water likely accumulates...

It's not a common problem that is reported in this forum, but we now know of at least a couple now...

Definitely report it to NHTSA.

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
If you look at the fracture in the closeup, the small tan section is the original fracture, with the white part as the final fracture.

Several observations from the two pictures. I notice that the paint coating is only missing on the bottom section of the spring where it would be under stress where it lifts off the spring holder base. So, this is not from standing in salty water.

This is telling me that that section of spring was being worked excessively. A coil spring is designed so that the middle 7/8th section of the spring accounts for over 90% of the movement under normal movement, with the ends hardened more than the rest of the spring.

This is the same type of failure experienced on amateur rally cars that try running stock spring setups.

In other words, it seems that your suspension system has been bottoming out hard for a while. I'm thinking that you must either live in a city with horrible potholes or drive some rough country roads.

IMHE, the Murano doesn't take sunken manhole covers, potholes, rough gravel roads and such gracefully and it is very easy to bottom out the suspension. If you're behind me, you'll see me weaving and bopping when it comes to avoiding those obstacles. Another reason to keep back from the car in front. Gives you time to spot those road issues and drive over them, if possible, instead of thru them.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
315 Posts
The paint is on that spring for a reason. Like mentioned above by the other posters, the area where the paint is non existent it will then rust/ corrode, those small pits were the rusting is creates a stress riser and then especially on harder materials and due to the constant flexing it can start to crack in that area, very small at first where it looks like it even rusted in the beginning crack. It looks like the rust pitting is worse in that area. To me also a somewhat design error too, doesn't look like much of a flat seat area to nest in that seating pad, so that would make that a high stress area, then what caused the rust? Either some thing or someone knocked off the paint. Maybe the paint used is not a good choice. I would not blame the material or heat treat, actually if it had that incipient crack formation and still held out for more time, that is excellent material. The design of the spring and size I'd blame that before the actual material. Also that rubber pad that the spring seats on would help hold that nice salty water on that lower section of the spring, that should have been thought of when designing that spring seat. You need to check the other side as well. It looks to me like a money saving (for manufacture) design, I know many other suspension springs look similar. Put it this way you won't find many valve springs in an engine that look like those designs.
In the first 12 seconds of the video just look at the tight coils on the end or top and bottom of the spring, and how it is flatened some what. Yours does not look like this was done yeah saves $ not doing it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I notice that the area of the spring that sits in the lower part of the mount that can catch water is seriously corroded. Edit Note: but as @PaulDay mentioned, this is a stress area and suspension bottoming may have cracked the coating

However, the same part of the spring that broke off shows no corrosion where it sat higher in the mount and out of the water, it looks pristine...

P.S. It's nice to have the excellent photos of the issue!

Reactions: PaulDay
1 - 8 of 8 Posts