Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
From what I can see the Canadian Murano S has both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Both are superior when using Google Maps or Waze for navigation compared to Nissan's navigation system IMO...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I threw my Blackberry away the day I retired and I know I have a bit of an attitude but I do not want an I Phone. The nav on my Murano has never let me down.
You didn't need to edit your post I didn't take it in a negative way.
Cheers
Yeah, I removed my comment regarding even my 85 year old Mom uses her iPhone for navigating after reflecting on how it might be taken... Glad you were't offended.

I had one of the old style keyboard Blackberry's back in the day.

I have been using Nissan's navigation system since 2003, and you're right, it never let me down either. And I never even updated the maps in my '03, too expensive for what they offered...

Nissan's navigation does have a much better map display. My only gripe with my '19 navigation is I can't seem to use the voice guidance to even recognize Home Depot, it complains about its phonetic database or something... The nice thing about Google Maps is it's much more up to date, and the voice recognition and guidance works great.

So, if you wanted to save several thousand dollars by not having to get the SL for its navigation, you can purchase an Android phone for cheap money and just use it for Android Auto or other useful apps. I got a Motorola Moto 6 Tracfone (nice phone!) from HSN.com on special for $99 with 1 year of service, 1500 minutes and 1.5 gig data, more than enough for a year of navigation for me. Even at $130, it's normal price, it's a bargain.

If the reason for not opting for a smartphone is the technology, you'll find the SL is brimming with it, especially with the technology package. I have worked in the information technology field since the mid '70s, and it's taken me a bit of time and effort to learn all my SL offers.

My Dad went phone-less for a couple of decades, he hated the phone companies and junk calls, etc. Eventually even he found not having a phone these days put him at a disadvantage, phone numbers are used for a lot of things these days. He eventually opted for an Obama phone several years before he passed...

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
We have found that even in a car with nav, using our Android phones is usually more convenient for navigation. Definitely cheaper than trading cars. (I'm 69 and retired, use a Samsung Galaxy S8, and see no point in operating without a reasonably current cell phone.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have found that even in a car with nav, using our Android phones is usually more convenient for navigation. Definitely cheaper than trading cars. (I'm 69 and retired, use a Samsung Galaxy S8, and see no point in operating without a reasonably current cell phone.)
I am not interested in paying a monthly fee for something I have no other use for. I lease my cars so I will be replacing it this fall.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I am not interested in paying a monthly fee for something I have no other use for. I lease my cars so I will be replacing it this fall.
Cheers
That DOES make a nice opportunity!

I personally would be very challenged to keep in touch with our daughters and my friends (and band members) without a cell phone. Their communication habits all tilt that way. As a retired person, I keep in mind that I'm much more accessible to my contacts when I have mine. If that's not the case for you, then no problem!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That DOES make a nice opportunity!

I personally would be very challenged to keep in touch with our daughters and my friends (and band members) without a cell phone. Their communication habits all tilt that way. As a retired person, I keep in mind that I'm much more accessible to my contacts when I have mine. If that's not the case for you, then no problem!
so a flip phone would do. I get along very well with my home phone and talk to people when they are home. Not all of us need the latest and greatest. Maybe that is why I can afford to lease a new car.
JMHO

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
so a flip phone would do. I get along very well with my home phone and talk to people when they are home. Not all of us need the latest and greatest. Maybe that is why I can afford to lease a new car.
JMHO
No offense meant, just that your having that tool of communication with the world is pretty much assumed these days. A phone these days is much more than a telephone, and if I were limited to a flip phone I'm not sure I would carry one. I think you're missing a lot that you don't recognize. But as a fellow retiree, I do wish you well! (y)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nav was standard on all Canadian models for the first few years which I thought was great since nav is usually reserved for upper trim models! Unfortunately, that changed so the only solution left (since a cell phone is out of the question) would be a stand alone GPS like I had on my 2014 (mounted on a vent clip). I prefer the built in one in my 2017.5 since it's not wobbling and the screen is bigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts