Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to my fellow Mo-Ficianados...

Just curious as to whether any of you have picked up the safari basket for the mo. I am torn between picking this up and a traditional cargo carrier. It appears that you might be able to hold just a little more with the basket than alot of the carriers on the market.

Price isn't that unreasonable either, $140 including the net- the only downside is that your belongings on the roof are exposed to the elements.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
KOZ said:
Hello to my fellow Mo-Ficianados...

Just curious as to whether any of you have picked up the safari basket for the mo. The only downside is that your belongings on the roof are exposed to the elements.
KOZ-

There are two sets of elements to be concerned with - natural elements (rain, snow, etc) and "undesirable" elements (thieves, malicious people, etc). Both show little regard for personal property.

I think it all depends on where you live and where you are traveling.

-njjoe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Safari Basket- Does anyone own it?

njjoe said:

KOZ-

There are two sets of elements to be concerned with - natural elements (rain, snow, etc) and "undesirable" elements (thieves, malicious people, etc). Both show little regard for personal property.

I think it all depends on where you live and where you are traveling.

-njjoe
I agree. I'm really only using it to transport from A to B, at which point the articles are removed from the rack. After pricing the basket and comparable Thule closed carriers, there actually isn't much of a difference in price.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I have seen the baskets on a few MOs. I don't like them (or the cargo carriers for that matter) but if you have to have it, then you have to have it. It seems that the basket may not be as aerodynamic as the carrier so you may get less mileage.

How about one of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zebelkhan said:
I have seen the baskets on a few MOs. I don't like them (or the cargo carriers for that matter) but if you have to have it, then you have to have it. It seems that the basket may not be as aerodynamic as the carrier so you may get less mileage.

How about one of these?
I like the concept but it's not that functional. I really need it to give me extra space in traveling from my home on Long Island to the cruise pier in NYC- having a 9-month old and traveling with a wife who likes shoes, I need some extra space. With one seat folded down, 2 big black suitcases pretty much monopolize the entire rear, so I need to get the extra space from somewhere.

The only concern about the rack in back is that the bags would be greatly exposed to not only the elements but alot of things kicking up from cars, etc.

With whatever I end up buying, it's going to go on for that week but then off afterwards- no need to take away from the car's good looks...

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
KOZ said:
The only concern about the rack in back is that the bags would be greatly exposed to not only the elements but alot of things kicking up from cars, etc.
Not to mention the exhaust...

I use mine when we buy our Christmas tree, as nothing that sheds will go inside or on top of my MO....:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I use a commercial mover's blanket for the tree on top of the Mo thing.
:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
rubbermaid is the answer

Folks,

We have used a "hitch-hauler" platform for years on our van. We had a hitch installed on the Mo for that and use of a bike rack. To me it seems like less wind impact and less mileage impact than stuff on the roof.

Careful on the weight you load. We have a class III hitch for that reason. We haven't loaded it very heavy with the Mo yet, so I would test that carefully - handling, headlights, and all.

On previous trips in the van we put clothes / or stuff in the large 20-30 gallon or bigger rubbermaid or tupperware containers. With a little size matching you can get several on the platform. They are waterproof / and no exhaust impact yet. Certainly not as stylish as leather luggage, but the stuff arrives dry.

One scuba trip to the Keys in our full size conversion van we loaded 6 people, a weeks luggage, food, linens, and a full set of scuba, tanks, weights and snorkel equipment for all. The hitch hauler was 2 high in stuff. We did stay overnight on the way down, and it only took 10 minutes to haul the 5 or 6 containers inside for the night. The Beverley Hillbillies would have been proud of us, but we made it safe and dry.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts