Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I searched the forum for this and couldn't find this model. I also searched gpspassion and found that site to be very confusing, so gave up.

Has anyone tried using the Samsung i700 (http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=SPH-I700&selTab=Features) w/ a GPS receiver?

I was given one of these from work and was looking at the following receiver: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50502144&pfp=SEARCH

Any performance related concerns I should know about? Do you guys think this PPC will be able to run GPS apps smoothly? Any suggestions / comments are always welcome.

Thanks again fellas!

·
4,664 Posts
You will want to use the SD card slot so you can expand the memory to accomodate the maps.

Also, bear in mind that it will use CPU power to run the phone, and the phone version PPC's typically have slower processors than the current stand-alone PPC's.

I've often thought of doing what you're looking at, but I don't know if the CPU will be quick. However, it should work.

I want the HP version, as it's GSM and I can swap the SIM card from my V600 and back whenever I don't want to carry a full PPC as a phone. However, it's not had good reviews, so I'm waiting for the next version.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of figured the processing power was a little weak, but I got it "free" for work. I know my wife wouldn't let me spend $$ for a new gps system, but if I could use the i700 along w/ a $100 receiver, she might let me.

If it is going to be slow (confirmed my suspicion), then I don't want to waste my money and just wait until she lets me buy one for $$. As always, thanks for the feedback Jaak.

BTW - are you a techie too??? I've read some posts where you or someone else was talking about VS.NET and C#. If it wasn't you, then ignore my rambling.

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
i am using pharos software and the receiver. it is pretty nice and really quick in getting the Satellite signals. also, i couldnt find if this phone is SDIO compatible... i mean its SD slot can be an i/o port as well..... most of the new Pocket PC's do support it. you can actually get that SDIO receiver and reduce the # of wires running out of your PPC.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hasaanbhutta - What PPC are you using? Do you have the Samsung i700?

·
4,664 Posts
While the concept of a GPS in the slot is good, the downside is it will just kill your battery further. Running the GPS with an adapter will make the connection to the PPC system, power the GPS and charge your PPC phone.

I have actually put my bluetooth receiver on the shelf, in favour of the wired one, for that reason.

Am I a tekkie? Oh yeah, baby, in a big way. I'm a tekkie that helps tekkies for a living. Really a hardware guy who wishes he had more software knowledge, but hey, there's only so much room in life and I have other things to fit in, like my family and my guitars. I've worked for three instrumentation companies and hope to continue doing that until I retire in 20 years.

I'd say, for free, the phone should work ok, just not blindingly quick. Then once your wife is hooked on it's abilities, if it's not fast enough for her satisfaction, you have leverage....:D

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Coness said:
hasaanbhutta - What PPC are you using? Do you have the Samsung i700?
im using iPAQ 3950.
my GPS looks more like this one plus i got couple of extra jackets for different uses. i.e CF and PCMCIA

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am using a Toshiba e800 Pocket PC with a CF GPS antenna. I got around the battery drainage by using a car charger. The software is Mapopolis. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't fully support the VGA screen my PPC has.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TeleType GPS Receiver

Any of you guys have experiences w/ Teletype?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts