Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to run the antenna wiring for my SAT radio. I'm putting the antenna behind the panel in the hatch. I wasn't able to fish the wires thru the windshield washer tube so I'm just running them from the panel to the rain gutter.

My question is, do you need to remove all the weather stripping from the left side of the cargo opening? Or do you just stuff the wires behind the weather stipping. I've looked at JAAK's site and can't determine this.

I must be a dunce because this install isn't going nearly as easy as everyone seems to say. This is on an 2004 model with Bose.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I've figure out the wiring routing and I thought all was well. I fired up the SAT on the radio and for the last 15 minutes all I'm getting is "Radio ID" and then some numbers.

I called Sirius and they said this could take up to 20 minutes with Nissan receivers. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thx

·
4,601 Posts
You have to be very very careful with the antenna wires, as they are sensitive to any sharp bends or compression. You can really degrade the signal strength if you damage them.

I pulled off the weatherstripping and put the wires in behind the interior trim, not just under the weatherstripping.

Double check and make sure you are squishing the wires when you close the hatch (rear door). If you have damaged them badly, you may have to get a new antenna. They are coaxial, in that there's a single wire in the middle, surrounded by an insulator and a shield and then the black outer insulation. It's not a simple wire to cut a part out of and then replace.

Even while initiating the service, you should be able to hear audio. If you don't, you've still got a problem.

Oh, and get it off channel 00 'cause that's just the radio ID. Channel 01 is the barker channel and will do for the init... You should hear audio there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure the cable isn't kinked anywhere. I can't change the channel on the receiver. All I get is Radio ID followed by the ESN. The unit won't allow me to change any channel.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had to leave the ignition in ACC and the radio on for an hour when I installed XM. It took that long for the receiver to be fully programmed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Even though it takes a while (30-60 minutes) to initialize the satellite receiver once you activate your account, you can still tune in more than just the station ID channel. There is the preview channel that gives instructions on how to activate your account and some trial channels on both XM and Sirius that you can listen to even though you don't yet have the full complement of channels. If all you're getting is the station ID channel and you can't tune to anything else, it sounds to me like you've got a bad tuner. I'd contact whoever you bought the tuner from and arrange an exchange.

Jeff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swapped out the antenna. Works like a charm now. I either had a bad antenna, or kinked a wire somewhere. Anyway, all is well.

I start a new job tomorrow and I now have a 45 minute one-way commute instead of 15 minutes. I'll be doing some Sirius listening.

Thanks for the help.

·
4,601 Posts
Glad to hear you got it working!:D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ya gotta hand it to a guy who would change jobs just so he could listen to his SAT longer:eek:

Homer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hfelknor said:
Ya gotta hand it to a guy who would change jobs just so he could listen to his SAT longer:eek:

Homer
That's too funny. Actually, our product development organization got outsourced to Brazil. So the new job I landed is a 45 minute commute. I really didn't give satellite radio much of a thought until this time. Now that I have it installed, I should of done this before. I really like this.

However, my wife was in my car all weekend and I'll let you guess what she wants in her new 350Z. The problem is that she has a roadster that is not pre-wired. I'm looking for solutions..... if anyone has any.

Thanks

·
4,601 Posts
As far as I'm aware, if it's got a SAT button it will work. You will need the harness if it's not pre-wired, but the connector should be on the back of the radio.

The harness that works in the 2003 Murano and G35 should work. If you've got a SAT button, you've got a SAT capable radio, never mind what Nissan says.

Buy a harness and put yours on. If it looks like you like it, (and she won't let you have it back) time to get another one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts