Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAT: How to install and other SAT tips

Since the posted links no longer work, I've deleted them and put this information in to this thread... jaak 24 Nov 07

You will find the following topics in here:

Is the Bose SAT Compatible?
A SAT Antenna Installation
Radio Removal
Murano SAT Harness Installation

See all the images, and more, here:

Jaak's Photobucket Account

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the Bose SAT Compatible?

The following information is based on my research and may have errors. I will not guarantee accuracy.

I will not be responsible for any damage you do to your equipment, based on this information!

Created June 2003, Last updated 27-August-04

Yes! It's compatible!

This picture was taken in June 2003, in spite of being told SAT did not work in the Murano.

The XM/Sirius SAT modules made by Clarion are identical for all Nissan/Infiniti products that have the SAT button.

For the Murano, here's an example harness that works. (This harness is not OEM, but is compatible and was used to make the SAT functional.)

The connector labelled "To SAT receiver" connects to the mating connector as seen here.

The connectors labeled for the Bose head unit attach to back of the radio.

The SAT connector plugs into the highlighted connector.

The other connector replaces the harness connector that plugs into the left black connector. The harness plugs into the remaining connector.

The OEM harness and SAT receiver are presently available in the USA, for various Infiniti and Nissan models. Differences between kits are in the harness provided, if at all. Originally, no matter which kit you get, you will get an antenna, but it appears the antenna is now separate from many dealers.

You will also get the Tuner in a box with accessories to help you install it. The tuner is underneath the center cardboard area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks jaak! Looks like this will be my next addition. I just have to decide which version, XM or Sirius, I will go with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Satellite Radio

This is great! I just ordered mine. I have been aggrivated trying to find information from Nissan. But thanks to you, I found what I needed to order.

Here is the information I found:

Nissan Murano Owners - For installation in a Nissan Murano you must purchase the Pre-Wire cable in addition to the Satellite Radio Kit. All current Nissan Murano's are NOT pre-wired for Satellite Radio from the factory and must have the additional Pre-Wire cable installed in order to get Satellite Radio capability.

http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And they give good service!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A SAT Antenna Installation

Last updated 27-February-04

Some pictures on a SAT antenna install. At the end of this, all you should see is the Antenna!

Instructions have now been released to do the install. They're basically identical to what I've worked out based on the G35 and FX instructions, however, the Murano instructions place the antenna off centre on the left side. There's no practical reason to do this, other than to make it look kind of strange. If you really stretch the reasoning, you could say the natural camber of the roads will actually put the Murano on a slight angle most of the time and placing the antenna slightly to the left would compensate for this slight vehicle tilt. You could also say, it won't make a significant reception difference and will look really stupid. But that's my opinion!

Place the antenna as per instructions included in the kit. Pay attention to the "tail" position. Tape down the wires and the end of the tail, with the included tape. Be patient, it's not easy to get to the wires behind the hatch.

Next step is the notch for the wires to run through. Since there were no Murano instructions released at the time of this install, it was decided to put the notch here, just to the left of where the wires come down. The released instructions have the same notch much further left. There's no significant advantage either way, other than getting the wires out of the channel that guides water, in the shortest distance possible, with the least amount of bends.

Some installers aren't using the rubber guide and notching the metal. Why? Well it's less work, but it puts more stress on the delicate antenna wires, resulting in a greater chance of failure, as well as poorer signal reception as the wires are bent and compressed by the rear door.

(I used a metal "nibbling" tool to cut the notch. Works quite well and gives a nice clean slot.)

Next, there is a rubber part that comes with the kit, which goes in the notch and has the wires run through it.

Again, as per the instructions, the wires need to be sealed where they enter under the gasket. The black blob on the wires is how it's sealed, but this is not close enough to the gasket. (I had to move it further down.) Then more clear tape on top of the whole thing. Just like the FX instructions show.

The antenna wires need to be run inside, between the body and the interior. To make sure you don't create a rattle, put on the foam tape. 4-5 should be fine. I laid out the wires length wise and folded the tape in half, over them. I have yet to hear a rattle from this, even after 10 months of use.

When you get down to the bottom, I found it was not easy to get the wire into the spare tire compartment properly. So with the removal of the small cover over the latch...

And then remove the three clips inside where the spare tire is, you can now lift up the cover and remove it for better access. It clips in at four spots along the top.

At the other end, to get to where the SAT receiver's going in, I pulled out the two clips in the centre. Makes it much easier to lift up the cover.

Under the right side is the Bose amplifier.

And under the left side, is where I'll put the SAT receiver. Unfortunately there's no flat spot, so using the double sided foam tape and velcro, I created two foam supports. Cut the foam tape into strips to build them up and support the receiver above the bolts that are sticking up. Then put the velcro on top of this and on the receiver. You can then remove the receiver, if needed, without destroying the foam tape.

Next, here's pictures of the antenna wires installed. (You can see the cover put back on over the back. The blue circle shows one of the three pins that hold it in place.) There are little clips with adhesive backs, that I used to anchor the antenna leads. By running them adjacent to the wiring harness, it's bulk will help protect them. You can remove the container and run them under, but it 1) is more work than needed, 2) isn't necessary, as the wires won't be damaged here, and 3) if you decide to remove or change the antenna, you are stuck with having to take that much more apart again.

Notice the foam tape on the wires where they enter the spare compartment. This is to prevent chafing against the body and prevent rattles.

Again, more clips and foam tape at the other end where the wires enter under the plastic.

A fun afternoon project! (If this is your idea of fun...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm. Tempting to say yes, considering your post, but no... I was under the name joneggert, but since my account was lost last week, I decided to change it.

More reltated to this thread, I got my Sirius SAT tuner kit from Grubbs and I'm going to go out to my garage and install it right now! I've read so much about this and seen so many photos, I expect I could install this thing with my eyes closed - we'll soon find out. So far I'm very impressed with the quality of the wiring harness. I'm considering not really mouting the tuner in the hopes of removing it again shortly to try to find a way to connect a decent MP3 player to it. Then I could have a switch to change from SAT input to MP3 and the head unit would be no wiser of the change... We can't leave all the fun stuff to Jaak, now can we?

LittleJon

Pewter/Latte Loaded w/ NAV - and SAT in a few hours...:4:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Done. Okay, so it took a little longer than I'd hoped, but it's all installed and I just activated my service. It took less than 1 minute form the time I paid online to the time I could tune other channels. Pretty cool.

The only downer of the experience is the number of little plastic clips I managed to break while removing trim pieces. Otherwise, it all went very well. Thanks to everyone who posted photos and tips for the installation.

Jon

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tman said:

Jon, is this the CPO_JON ?? that we all know and love.:D
Hey Tman, you got me all excited... I wonder how he's doing??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio Removal

Last updated 27-February 04

Some pictures of how to remove the Radio in the Murano.

NOTE: Before removing the radio, eject all the CD's and lock the CD auto-changer.

To lock the CD changer:

Turn off the ignition and wait until the display is off and the changer internals are no longer making a noise.

Press one disc selection button (any from 1-6) once and when something appears on the display, press that same button again for 5 seconds.

You should hear the mechanism lock itself within 10 seconds. Your radio is now ready for removal.

To get to the screws that hold the radio in place, you must first remove the Central Ventilator and the Instrument Stay Covers.

To remove the Central Ventilator cover use a plastic pry bar and gently lift at points A and A followed by points B, B and B. This may also be able to be done by hand, but it's not easy.

The cover is retained roughly where the blue X's are located.

To remove the instrument stay covers, gently pry down at the location shown by the red arrow in the following diagram.

This cover is already out a little, as you can see by the gap from the dash.

The left and right side covers come down the same way and are interlocked. Expect them to come apart from each other when you remove them.

There is a lamp for the tray, which can be disconnected from the cover, by pinching the connector and pulling it out.

Once the covers are all off, the screws can be removed that hold in the assembly.

Put something on your console to protect it before removal. This will allow you to rest the radio while disconnecting the connectors on the back. I used a large mapbook but a piece of corrugated cardboard would work well.

Two screws at the top need to be removed...

On each side, either two or one screw (depending on your Murano) also need to be removed.

At this point, you can pull the radio out.

You may need to put on the parking brake and move the shifter back to L for more room. Unlock the ignition, move it back and then turn it off again.

BE SURE YOU HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED!

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just got back, saw your email, and also got one from Jon... He says hi to all the folks... I'll have to respond to him. He won't have internet access, but will have email. Right now, he's on his way to Japan.... Ahhh.... Life in the big ocean....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murano SAT Harness Installation

Last updated 3 September-04

If you have a 2003 Murano, the Satellite Radio harness was not installed, however, the Murano is designed to receive it. 2004 and newer Muranos already have this harness in place. Look for the end of it next to the Bose Amp, if installed, behind the right rear passenger seat. Fold down the seat and lift the flap at the back. Here are some pictures that should aid in the SAT harness install for the 2003 model.

(Or if you are upgrading your 2004 or newer to the full harness with all the wires, to allow two N-Bus devices to be attached, this will help you find it!)

In this installation, the SAT harness is run from behind the radio through the dash on the passenger side and down through the right side of the vehicle to the back. This path follows the existing wiring harness already in place.

To get access for routing the harness, a number of parts need to be removed.

First the front kick plate from the passenger side. This just clips in and can be removed by pulling up, gently. It clips in at the three holes indicated by the blue circles.

(Yes that blue liquid in the plastic hose, is the rear washer fluid....)

The Red arrows above show where the carpet is hooked on. This will be unhooked later. First we'll remove the rear kick plate.

Now we can remove the centre pillar lower garnish (This covers the seat belt on the passenger side).

This is clipped into the body at three points, as shown by the two arrows in the picture below and also next to where the duct narrows further down. Once you've unclipped it, you can easily remove it by sliding it up and out.

The blue circles in the picture on the right (above) show where the finisher attaches to the body, in front of the front passenger door. This too needs to be removed.

It's possible to run the harness without removing the glove compartment, but I decided I'd put it up out of the way. To this, the box has to be removed. There's four screws on the top that hold it in (two on the latch).

And three screws on the bottom. The one on the right has a little plastic cover that needs to be popped off.

Once all the screws are out, there are still a couple of clips that hold it in place, so it requires a little tug to get it released on the top left side and unhooked from under the rubber door seal on the right side.

Now everything is out of the way, and the radio's been removed (as shown on another section of this web site), the harness can be connected and run.

There are three connectors. One plugs into the empty SAT connector on the radio, another replaces one of the existing connectors and the third plugs into the connector that was replaced.

The harness then needs to routed through the dash. Be sure to leave enough slack for the radio to be removed!

It can't be seen here, but there's a metal tube that runs across the dash. (The large white assembly seen in this picture, is supported by it.)

Using tie wraps, the harness was tied to this tube to bring it across while ensuring nothing will rattle.

Once on the right side of the vehicle, it's run down next to the existing harness and tie wrapped to it. This picture shows the first tie wrap.

We have a clear path for the harness down the right side of the Murano. From the front, we can unhook the carpet and see there is plenty of room to run the harness between the soundproofing under the carpet and the wiring harness guide. The red arrows point to this gap. Be sure to give enough slack in the harness so it can rest in the gap properly.

If you really want, you can attempt to disassemble the harness guide and run the harness inside it as there is room. This is a little tricky and the guide can be broken if you are not careful. If you aren't comfortable doing this, I suggest... Don't!

Here's the rear door view.

It's actually quite easy from here, to put your hand under the carpet, under the rear seat and push the harness through to the area behind, where the SAT receiver will be installed. To ensure it doesn't wander or rattle, some tie wraps onto the existing harness will keep it in place.

Plug it into the receiver and do a quick test to ensure it's functional. If it's not working, double check all your connections.

Once it's in and working, hook the carpet back on and reassemble all the parts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the information

i was beginning to think the whole satellite thing for my murano was bull****. the local dealers here didn't have any answers and they were getting to the point of making **** up about chips not being developed and engineering standards...
my journey here has taken me through pictures of aftermarket units being mounted to the dash by best buy... what a nightmare for those folks.
thanks again:2:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yah I understand. I came full circle. From point of sale, understanding that I was going to be able to have integrated satellite radio. Then frustration with the dealer that was unable to find any information for me. Then Nissan NA told me it would not be available because the car was not pre-wired for it fromt he factory. I stumbeled upon nissanmurano.org and the "real" information about the satellite radio. I ordered the Sirius install kit for a Infiniti G35, and installd it in the car. It works perfectly!

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahh it warms my heart to expose BS. It's amazing how much there is! Fortunately, it's not Japan generated! Just some goofs in the marketing department of Nissan America.:D

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can request all you like.... You wouldn't be the first! No one's had any luck so far in the last 8-10 months.

I have thought it that there might be a Clarion unit that shares the same components, but I'd have to look at the service manuals to see... Especially since the SAT/CD Changer connector is on a daughter board that plugs into the main board. So it would be easy to put on a CeNET connector on a different daughterboard and do a different firmware load.

That reminds me, I have to look them up again here and drop by. The Canadian distributor/service dept. isn't too far from home.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine's In and Working!

Well I finally did it yesterday. Started the (parts from Infiniti) XM installation at about noon and by 5 pm had all the tools put away, garage cleaned up, and the XM tuner working perfectly. (I'm a little anal about keeping things perfect, so I took my time).

I also installed the Nissan electrical towing harness at the same time (part #999T8-CP00, $99) to match up with my Hidden Hitch class II towing hitch.

Everything went exactly as the instructions said it would and the only tough part was remembering the exact sequence that I used taking the back end apart to put it all back together.

I had the entire back end apart, including the trim on the upper side walls (for access to the converter and the tail light/brake light plugs), the rear storage bins, the spring loaded plate that covers the space between the seats, and the back compartment lid that covers the spare.

While I was in there, I went a little crazy with the foam tape just to make sure that the rattles won't develop over time.

This was one of the most satisfying days I've spent on my own in quite some time.

Thanks everyone (especially Jaak) for all the pioneering work that enabled my installation to go so well!

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome! Good idea to put in the trailer harness at the same time!:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Uhhh, ya know, I just thought about somthing..... I got my Sat cable in today, And I was looking up some install information (I still need to order the tuner..) but I realized, everyone has being going on about Bose head units, and umm my unit isn't a bose unit, I just have the standard audio package, I assume (hope and pray) it will still work?
Just wanted to double check before I ordered the tuner...

1 - 20 of 389 Posts