Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAT in Canada? Well, it looks like it will happen... Eventually.
TORONTO (CP) - The position of subscription radio in Canada's broadcasting landscape will be on the agenda this fall at public hearings, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission announced Thursday.

Proponents of the service - delivered to customers via satellite or ground relays - tout the advantages of being able to listen to the same station from one end of the country to the other and the ability to make more niche broadcasters available.

"Our application creates a tremendous opportunity for Canadian artists and musicians, especially those from the independent sector," Bob Mackowycz, vice-president of programming for applicant Canadian Satellite Radio, said in a news release Thursday.

He said the service would offer an opportunity for Canadian artists and musicians, "especially those from the independent sector."

Because subscription radio is a brand-new concept for the Canadian market, the CRTC hearings will consider a broad range of issues, including Canadian content requirements and what number of providers would be appropriate.

Three groups have filed applications to provide the service. They will be considered together beginning Nov. 1.

Canadian Satellite Radio is a partnership between former Toronto Raptors owner John Bitove Jr. and Washington-based XM Satellite Radio Holdings, which is already operating subscription-based satellite radio south of the border.

Also hoping to get a crack at the new service is the CBC, in partnership with XM's U.S. rival Sirius.

The third applicant is Chum Ltd., the only one of the three that is not planning a satellite-based delivery system.

The companies are proposing a range of services - from Chum's 50 Canadian channels for a $9.95 monthly rate, to Canadian Satellite Radio's offer of 101 channels (only four of which would be produced in Canada) for $12.99.

The hearings will be held in Gatineau, Que. The CRTC is asking those who wish to be a part of the process to notify them by Sept. 15.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's about time........keeping my fingers crossed.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'd suggest you tell the CRTC in a letter that you want the service here.

You'll have to tell them why it's better than DAB and also weigh the benefits of services that would share commercially available receivers for XM and Sirius, to allow seamless integration into your current vehicle.

I expect at some point, someone will attempt to block both XM and Sirius with a service focused on Canadian content using a grossly overpriced incompatible receiver that will either die a slow painful death, or have to be propped up by funding from the government, to survive.

Sort of like our early satellite TV service went through.

Oh, did I mention, the CRTC won't like the fact that XM and Sirius are off satellites owned by US corporations?

:rolleyes:

While they mean well, sometimes, they just don't get the impact of the technical benefits of distributed engineering costs over a large population.

So it's not likely to get licenced without struggle pain and strife.

I'm hopeful, but seen it enough times in the past.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts