Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am located in Edmonton, Alberta and I am planning to obtain a Sirius unit for my 2003 Murano from Grubbs. I have confirmed that the signal is good at this latitude - I know a few people who have Sat already installed - but they purchased an after market units from a local dealer.

I am wondering whether there are any Canadians on this forum that have purchased SAT units from the US - did you run into any problems importing them into Canada?

Also, are there any Canadians who have used the hidden antennae install behind the third brake light - any problems with the reception?.

Lastly, thanks to Jaak and all the others who have posted such useful information on the SAT issue - especially for those of use with 2003 models.

Cheers
NissanFan

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is sat radio legal in Canada....can you subscribe using your Canadian address? I read in National Post a few weeks back that Sirius(I think) was just starting up operations in Canada, but wouldn't be available for some time???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is sat radio legal in Canada....can you subscribe using your Canadian address?

S.9 of the Broadcasting Act prohibits anyone from receiving an encrypted signal unless they have the consent of a broadcaster who is legally authorized to transmitt the signal.

U.S. satellite broadcasters are not licensed to broadcast in Canada. You need to have a US address to be able to subscribe to their service.

Both XM and Sirius have announced plans to launch a Canadian Sat service - CRTC is holding a hearing of their application this coming November see:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Hearings/2004/n2004-6.htm

Given that existing Canadian radio stations are still rolling out digital radio, I would not hold my breath for XM and Sirius to be approved anytime soon. If they do get approval they will be hobbled with limitations on what they can make available in Canada and will have to comply with Canadian content regs - which is one of the reasons for wanting US satellite radio in the first place.

NissanFan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts