Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I completed the install on Saturday. Hot and humid! The antenna took way longer than I figured. I installed it in the hatch. I was able to active XM with the hatch open (antenna poiting forward, NOT up) during my harness run. Pretty impressive.

Question:

How did you run the harness after the b pillar? I came out uner the rear seat where the cable to release the rear seat comes out. My only concern is that the cutout in the pastic is kind of tight and I fear that the plastic may cut the harness. I couldn't get in there to make the cut out bigger.

ALSO check out what I found under the rug under the front passenger seat... I have no idea where this came from. My 3 year old daughter says the card is hers but I don't know where the super ball came from. Even if the card was hers I can't image how it got under the rug.

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
To run the antenna wires I pulled off the rubber gasket for the back door and slid them in between the body and the inner plastic lining.

That stuff got under the carpet, likely through the flap under the front passenger seat... The flap opens so you can see the VIN on the body. Push the seat back all the way and you should see it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that must have been it.

Regarding the routing... I was wondering about the harness and how it was run after the B pillar. Not the antenna but rather the harness itself. I have an 03 and I had to install the harness as it is not pre-wired.

·
4,601 Posts
OK, what's messing me up here, is I don't know what you mean by B pillar and in what direction. Up front through the dash, or under the back seats? Or between the doors?

I know all about having to run the harness in the '03, as I was the first Murano owner to do it. (Second Murano owner to have sat, the first had a buddy at Nissan do it for him.)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaak said:
OK, what's messing me up here, is I don't know what you mean by B pillar and in what direction. Up front through the dash, or under the back seats? Or between the doors?

I know all about having to run the harness in the '03, as I was the first Murano owner to do it. (Second Murano owner to have sat, the first had a buddy at Nissan do it for him.)
The B Pillar is the tall section between the front and rear seats that holds the rear seat vent and front seat belt. After running it past that how did you get the harness from that point to the receiver? Is that a better description?

Regarding the VIN flap... it is still staples closed. So I really don't know who that stuff got under the rug.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheGymKid said:
How much is the XM a month ? Is it better then having the Sirrius Radio?

Nice website on the XM info Jaak. Thanks
$13/month. I think it is just a preference over which you go with. I went with XM because the company I work for using them to delivery WX information to aircraft so I figured I would support them as well.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gonzo said:

$13/month. I think it is just a preference over which you go with. I went with XM because the company I work for using them to delivery WX information to aircraft so I figured I would support them as well.
Thanks Gonzo. Is it that great to pay an extra $13.00 a month? I mean the regular radio is free. :D I suppose if you spend a lot of time in the car, esp if you travel around to different states it would be great.

·
4,601 Posts
Gonzo said:

The B Pillar is the tall section between the front and rear seats that holds the rear seat vent and front seat belt. After running it past that how did you get the harness from that point to the receiver? Is that a better description?

Regarding the VIN flap... it is still staples closed. So I really don't know who that stuff got under the rug.
Funny you ask that, someone emailed me about it..

When the trim is off at the back door, you can run your arm under the carpet with the end in hand, along the existing harness. Then fold the seats down and lift up the flaps, where you can then grab the end and pull it through to the other side.

If you like, you can tie wrap it to the existing harness. I haven't and it's not made a noise or been an issue.

If memory serves me right, the flap is velcro'd down. (big if, been quite a while since I looked!)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
TheGymKid said:
How much is the XM a month ?
Currently $12.95 /month but there are deals and promotions out there that let you have the thing for a lot less. In January, when the monthly charge was $10/month, they had a deal going for $5/month if you prepaid 12 months in advance (New GM car activations only but who was telling!). A couple of months ago with the rate increase I heard the promotion became $7.99 a month (Again, GM cars only-but many non GM owners called, claimed they just bought a GM and got it anyway). Unfortunately I did not have a Satellite back then so could not take advantage of that deal. Now that I have it, I have not activated it, still waiting for a good promotion. So if anyone knows of any, please let me know....:D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheGymKid said:

Thanks Gonzo. Is it that great to pay an extra $13.00 a month? I mean the regular radio is free. :D I suppose if you spend a lot of time in the car, esp if you travel around to different states it would be great.
You know I don't spend alot of time in the car but I don't like commericals and I can't find some type of music I like on the radio always... i.e. Jazz/Blues, 80's music etc.

OK OK there is also the coolness factor too. :cool: Unfortuantely its hard to be cool with XM when the antenna is mounting in the hatch... now how are babes gonna know I've got XM.... oops it doesn't matter I'm married! :4:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This forum lists a promo for the first three months free. I did that and if you like you can prepay and get it for $9.99/month.

Thanks Jaak... I'll look at that and give it a try. Sounds better than they way I've got it now.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
This forum lists a promo for the first three months free. I did that and if you like you can prepay and get it for $9.99/month.
Did the math, and what do you know:

3 months free + 12 months @ 9.99 = 15 months @ $119.88

OR : $7.99 / month !

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny that you mention that as I will was planning on do that plan as well. If you cancel they will refund the amunt left over so if you have the money up front you've got nothing to loose.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing I forgot... when doing the install I ripped the rubber seal around the rear hatch what an idiot I was. :banghead:

I called the dealer and they wanted $110 for the seal. Wow! Any ideas of how I can get another seal for less?

I also broke a couple of clips on the rear hatch area upper trim. The clips only come with the trim itself for $65!

Geesh I'm unhappy about this but can't jusitfy $175 to fix my stupidity.

On a good note I reran the harness as described above.... that went well. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts