Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a neat looking antenna???

to me, less is more.....

as i am approaching the time to get my unit (grubbs, no doubt), i wonder jus how small and 'out-of-the-way' the antennas can be....

also, do they jus adhere (2sided 3M?) to the roof??

heres a new slimline model, but i have no idea of the true size....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I mounted mine in the access panel for the rear stop light ... the one at eye-level. The back portion of the roof isn't metal, it's a plastic so the satellite signal is not impeded.

Open the hatch, and you'll see the access panel for the light. Pop it open (from the bottom of the panel - there's 3 clips on the bottom and two tabs on the top) and there's a whole bunch of room. The insdie of the panel has some "fins" which I shaved down using a dremel to get a flat surface. Mount the antenna with two-sided tape. You can run the antenna wires down the right black tube which holds the rear windshield fluid tube.

For good measure, I took the plastic top off the antenna and mounted the real guts of the antenna on that access panel.

I don't have any issue with signal (I'm in Colorado so there's not much in my way between the road and clear shot of the sky).

This installation is great and no antenna on the roof !

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
comurano said:
I mounted mine in the access panel for the rear stop light ... the one at eye-level. The back portion of the roof isn't metal, it's a plastic so the satellite signal is not impeded.

Open the hatch, and you'll see the access panel for the light. Pop it open (from the bottom of the panel - there's 3 clips on the bottom and two tabs on the top) and there's a whole bunch of room. The insdie of the panel has some "fins" which I shaved down using a dremel to get a flat surface. Mount the antenna with two-sided tape. You can run the antenna wires down the right black tube which holds the rear windshield fluid tube.

For good measure, I took the plastic top off the antenna and mounted the real guts of the antenna on that access panel.

I don't have any issue with signal (I'm in Colorado so there's not much in my way between the road and clear shot of the sky).

This installation is great and no antenna on the roof !
excellent idea!!!!

thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picture of installation.

The panel is upside down ... the 2 plastic tabs install rightside up, and the 3 silver clips install on the bottom.

Attachments

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
comurano said:
Picture of installation.

The panel is upside down ... the 2 plastic tabs install rightside up, and the 3 silver clips install on the bottom.

looks like the perfect place for it....

the panel jus snaps in??

any loss of signal??

thanks

S

·
4,664 Posts
The antenna works fine in there, and you don't have to remove the cover from it.

There is a slight advantage on the roof as there is the metal around it which acts as a ground plane. If you want to mount the antenna in the hatch, I'd suggest some aluminum screen below it, as that will create the same effect as the roof. In the southern part of the country, it's not a big deal, but it will help a bit up north, where the angle of the signal is further down in the sky.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Keep in mind is that the Infiniti SAT "kit" includes the standard Terk antenna and the receiver.

If you decided to go with a different antenna, you'll be adding some additional expense.

I like the look of that antenna in the hatch. I may consider moving mine. Has anyone moved one yet from where it was originally installed?

·
4,664 Posts
If I was in WI, I'd leave it on the roof....

I'm about the same latitude as WI, if not further south and want every little bit of gain possible. The further north you get, the more likely the roof will get in the way (when you're driving south) as the antenna in the hatch will be lower than your roof line.

It works best if you're further south, but is OK, in the northern states.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dklanecky1 said:
Keep in mind is that the Infiniti SAT "kit" includes the standard Terk antenna and the receiver.

If you decided to go with a different antenna, you'll be adding some additional expense.

I like the look of that antenna in the hatch. I may consider moving mine. Has anyone moved one yet from where it was originally installed?

which one is this???

will it fit inside the hatchlid???

id like to find the one to hide (im in sw florida)
'

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
comurano said:
The one I mounted in the hatch is the antenna that comes with the Grubbs-ordered XM receiver - the TRK-SR2

great!!

quick question.....

is the ant. still facing upward, when tyhe panel is snapped back into place (assuming it is snapped into place)
??

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes. visualize in my post above just flipping the panel back up (it's flipped down in the picture). The bottom of the antenna is mounted to the inside of the panel. When you put the panel back the antenna is facing up inside the hatch - close the hatch and the antenna is pointing straight up to the sky.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
comurano said:
yes. visualize in my post above just flipping the panel back up (it's flipped down in the picture). The bottom of the antenna is mounted to the inside of the panel. When you put the panel back the antenna is facing up inside the hatch - close the hatch and the antenna is pointing straight up to the sky.
GOTCHA.........

(not too familiar with what the ant looks like, undressed)

thanks

eSe

·
Registered
275 Posts
WOW! Terriffic! I first read about this "hiding the antenna" at work today and as soon as I got home I did it!

Thanks comurano! I wouldn't have thought if it without you. Though it does make sence. I noticed the hatch was not metal long ago, but hiding the SAT antenna in there had not ocurred to me. A perfect idea!

The reception seems to be the same. I played with it for a while after the move and I doesn't lose signal more easily like I thought I might.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew

·
4,664 Posts
I ran mine in there in June when I was trying to decide which I wanted. It works quite well. Two things though... 1)Do not remove the antenna's cover. You don't need to, and you expose the antenna elements to the risk of damage. Bend them and they won't work as well at that frequency. 2) Put a metal screen or sheet of metal, or aluminum foil, underneath the antenna that's at least 5-6 inches or so in radius (10-12"diameter) to give a decent ground plane. This will help optimise the performance when in fringe conditions.

You can also remove the plastic covers from the connectors, which will allow them to be passed through the rubber boot that's shared with rear window washer fluid. This way you won't see the antenna wires either. There's a white clip that gets pushed out, and the shell releases. Once you've run them, you can put them back on. Mark one of them, so you don't get them mixed up. It does make a difference!

Be very careful not to ever kink the antenna wires while doing the install. A kinked wire is going to create attenuation and reduce signal level. You won't ever notice this, unless you do side by side comparisons, but it makes the difference between the best possible performance and experiencing more signal dropouts.

Look at "A potential SAT antenna location" in my Gallery, there's been some pics there for a while that show how to get things open and what runs through the rubber boots.

·
Registered
202 Posts
jaak said:
Put a metal screen or sheet of metal, or aluminum foil, underneath the antenna that's at least 5-6 inches or so in radius (10-12"diameter) to give a decent ground plane. This will help optimise the performance when in fringe conditions.
Here's a dumb and slightly OT question....

Would putting a metal screen under the antenna for a home XM radio (e.g., the Delphi SkyFi boombox) help to increase reception? I'm having a heckuva time getting a good signal in most parts of my home.

Jeff

·
4,664 Posts
It might help, but it would be marginal. The real problem you have inside, is the antenna can't "see" the satellite(s).

If you can get it near a southern window, external, somehow, that should help. Failing that, build a big aluminum reflector outside a window to reflect the signal into the house! (I can see your neighbours scratching their heads over that one... )

Think of the satellite as a flashlight in the sky and what it would take to be able to see some of that light, either directly or reflected.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks, Jaak. That's kinda what I thought, but I wasn't sure. My house doesn't have a real good Southern exposure, but I have been hooking the antenna over the slats in my blinds and can get a signal strength of two bars. Of course, the only rooms where this works are rooms I don't spend a lot of time in......oh well.

I doubt my homeowner's association would be happy with a big aluminum reflector hanging off my house. They get pretty torked when someone puts a plastic flamingo in their front yard, and that's pretty much a necessity for a Florida house! :5: Maybe someone will come up with a more acceptable signal reflector one of these days!

Jeff

·
4,664 Posts
So I guess hiding the antenna in a pink flamingo outside would be out of the question... :D

It might be better in the attic, if you can get it there. The less building you have in the way of the antenna, the better the chances of decent signal level.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts