Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. I thought I'd ask this question of you experienced Murano SAT radioholics out there...

Just how is the antenna set up? I know it sticks to the center of the roof, but that's about it. Does a wire run along the roof, through the rear liftgate, and then down to the receiver?

Also, on the FX45, is the antenna integrated into the roof rails?

Boy, that would be a nice option for the 04 Muranos. Maybe it can be ported to the 03's...

Edit: Gee, this should've gone under the Audio section. I'm not used to this nicely categorized forum! ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the installation instructions for the FX35/45 show the SAT antenna installed horizontally toward the back of the vehicle on the driver's side. The wiring, I believe, was supposed to run inside the roof rails to the cargo area. If that was the intention for the Murano as well, I would guess that's one reason why Nissan was reluctant to allow an after-market install of the SAT radio.

What most of us have done is install the antenna in the center rear of the roof. There's a plastic tail that extends from the antenna "hump" for about 6-8 inches. This tail covers the antenna wiring and also sticks to the roof. The tail routes the wiring from the antenna into the gap between the liftgate and the roof. Weatherproof adhesive tape holds the wires to the liftgate frame. You then cut out a notch in the metal underneath the rubber weatherstripping. The SAT kit comes with a plastic grommet that fits into the notch and protects the wiring from the weatherstripping and the metal, especially as you open and close the liftgate. From there, we ran the antenna wiring inside the trim around the perimeter of the liftgate opening down to the driver's side cargo area and then followed the other cabling from the rear of the vehicle to the space behind the rear seat where the tuner should be installed.

I hope that helps!

Jeff

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think some of the reasons why most everyone has been installing the antenna in the middle versus on the side and along the roof rail are:

1. It looks a little more symmetric.

2. If you are ever thinking about loading anything on the roof rack, there is a greater possibility of hitting the antenna when it is on the side compared to the middle.

3. Running the antenna wires down the roof rails is more work and leaves more of the antenna wire exposed to possible kinks, whereas with the back installation, the wire is pretty much a straight shot from the top of the car, under the weather stripping and into the car.

The G35 instructions show the antenna installation in the center on the back.

Of course there are some people out there who have installed the antenna in the hatch too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts