• OEM integrated SAT

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Aftermarket SAT

Votes: 7 20.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want or have Sat radio, would you pay the extra for the integrated OEM system and why?

If you went with aftermarket, why do you prefer that?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Had aftermarket Pioneer unit in the 00 Maxima SE and loved it until I heard a digitally integrated unit installed in a (of all things) 98 Ford Taurus. It absolutely blew away my sound due to the loss inherent in the FM modulated system.

I have the Nissan (clarion) unit that I installed in the Murano (thanks to jaak and the guys in FLA) and the sound quality is significantly better (IMO). The integration of the controls via the steering wheel and the main display is also worth quite a bit (IMO).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went with the oem for several reasons
- controls from the steering wheel (main reason for me)
- display
- prewired (install in '04 was a breeze)
- 95% of my radio listening is in the MO (don't know about xm, but sirius lets you listen on-line, which I do at work)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Aftermarket, XM with the Stock Ticker ! GRIP :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ditto! Except for having to install the pre-wire in my '03.

gseepes said:
I went with the oem for several reasons
- controls from the steering wheel (main reason for me)
- display
- prewired (install in '04 was a breeze)
- 95% of my radio listening is in the MO (don't know about xm, but sirius lets you listen on-line, which I do at work)

·
Registered
282 Posts
GripperDon said:
Aftermarket, XM with the Stock Ticker ! GRIP :D
Grip! I gotta know...why the stock ticker? You don't spend that much time driving your MO! ;)

·
5,100 Posts
Cause I like it. GRIP :D

·
136 Posts
Aftermarket XM, because I like the portability and listening at home.

Does the PAC adapter not take care of the FM modulation degradation of reception?(poet and don't know it).

·
5,100 Posts
It's called a tofer!

You bet

FM Modulated via antenna
Fm Modulated wire connected
Tape cassette Adapter
PAC direct connection

in order of improving quality.

PAC sounds GREAT and I think any of the direct in units will be great.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
OEM integrated SAT simplifies few things like control and visual also ease of installation. However with other portable aftermarket SAT you can move it around. I wouldnt mind either since both of them are waaaay better than Am/Fm......however, I'd go with oem since i dont like visible wires and clutter.......and well aftermarket unit does take away that "Premiumness" of the MO. Just my opinion.

·
5,100 Posts
Yet but that moving Ticker Tape WOW. Just look up there kind of like "Big City" for us little town westerners (Cowboys) GRIP :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I voted aftermarket because with a PC already in the car, I can easily (and cheaply) add SAT to it. In fact I may just do that in the very near future.

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Digital said:
OEM integrated SAT simplifies few things like control and visual also ease of installation. However with other portable aftermarket SAT you can move it around. I wouldnt mind either since both of them are waaaay better than Am/Fm......however, I'd go with oem since i dont like visible wires and clutter.......and well aftermarket unit does take away that "Premiumness" of the MO. Just my opinion.
That was one of the things that attracted me to OEM and it's also apparent for those that installed the antenna inside the back door or hatch, whatever you want to call it.

You can have sat installed and not see a thing...

I've haven't actually measured it, but looking at the components used, the audio quality of the OEM sat would be better than aftermarket with the Pac Audio. Not that most people can tell the difference, especially through the Bose.

The amps (in the Sat Receiver) that drive the balanced inputs to the Bose are very low noise and high quality, made by JRC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Grip,

That's one hell of a clean installation.....I'm not that good so i find shortcuts most of the time.

·
5,100 Posts
Digital

Thank You. GRIP :D

It's all extra wide velcro so it's removable and no marks to the wiser.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had XM OEM installed 12/04

Had XM installed in my 2004 SE. I went OEM, but talked to 6 Nissan dealers / service managers before I had the install work completed at North Bay Nissan. They had the most experience with installing SAT on Muranos and were the most professional on the phone and answered all my questions. Most dealers had not installed SAT in a Murano. I was concerned that the XM satellite antenna would be really noticeable, but the new kit is very low in profile, almost flat, and is hardly noticeable.

I am amazed at the sound quality of XM with the Bose, and the integration is what I wanted. I did not want to have any other "add on" visual stuff on the dash or console. Wanted to keep it clean and pristine. I think the sound quality is sometimes better than my CDs.

The only complaint I have is that the read out of what is playing on the display screen is short, but you can usually fingure out what the artist and / or song is.

·
5,100 Posts
WHY?

GRIP :D

·
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EdMPT said:
I would think the oem would get better reception...
It would have better audio quality.

·
5,100 Posts
WHY?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts