Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the Nissan OEM Sirius radio to the existing wire harness of my '05 Murano and while everything works well, the steering wheel only controls the volume.

I can't switch sources or tune the sat radio with the wheel. When I try to cycle through the inputs it runs through everything except the sat radio and when I try to use the tune it switches to FM and tunes that.

Is that normal?

Thanks

·
4,601 Posts
That's not normal. Your radio is not recognising the sat receiver at all.

Turn off the ignition, and unplug the receiver and leave it unplugged for about a minute. Then plug it in and turn on the ignition.

When the ignition is turned on (radio on or off) the radio will look for attached devices and communicate with the receiver.

If this is not working, then it's possible something is faulty, the receiver, the harness or the radio.

You may need to check the other end of the harness to ensure it is plugged in as well.

The volume control on the steering wheel only controls the radio's volume and does not send commands to the sat receiver.

You should be able to change presets on FM as well, to confirm the steering wheel controls are functioning correctly.

It's highly unlikely that your steering wheel controls are faulty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To clarify the problem, if I use the controls on the radio everything controls the sat radio and it works as it's supposed to and the controls on the wheel step through the radio presets.

It's just when I try to use tune and the input select on the wheel that I can't control the sat tuner.

Thanks

·
4,601 Posts
OK, that's strange...

If the steering wheel controls all work for the radio, then the electrical path there, is fine.

If the radio controls work for SAT, then the electrical path there, is also fine.

What you describe is a software issue, since all the hardware appears to be working correctly.

I would be tempted to disconnect the power for everything, to reset it to defaults, and try again. If it still has the problem, then ask Nissan why.

·
4,601 Posts
Yes, a couple actually, but I'll have to look them up. Right now, gotta get outta here!

·
4,601 Posts
BOSE SYSTEM
Refer to Owner's Manual for audio system operating instructions.
Power is supplied at all times
 through 15A fuse [No. 38, located in the fuse and fusible link box]
 to audio unit terminal 6, and
 to BOSE speaker amp. terminal 1.
With the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, power is supplied
 through 10A fuse [No. 6, located in the fuse block (J/B)]
 to audio unit terminal 10.
Ground is supplied through the case of the audio unit.
Ground is also supplied
 to BOSE speaker amp. terminal 17
 through body ground B105 and B116.
Audio unit and A/C and audio controller are connected by FPC (Flexible Print Circuit).
A/C and audio controller integrates A/C switches and audio switches.
When A/C and audio controller is pushed to audio switch, it send audio signal to audio unit.
Then audio signals are supplied
 through audio unit terminals 1, 2, 3, 4, 13, 14, 15, and 16
 to Bose speaker amp. terminals 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30.
Audio signals are amplified by the BOSE speaker amp.
The amplified audio signals are supplied
 through BOSE speaker amp. terminals 2, 3, 9,10,11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, and 19
 to terminals 1 and 2 of front door speaker LH and RH
 to terminals 1 and 2 of rear door speaker LH and RH
 to terminals 1 and 2 of tweeter LH and RH.
 to terminals 2, 3, 4 and 6 of woofer.
When one of steering wheel audio control switches is pushed to volume up, seek up, or mode ON, resistance
in steering switch circuit changes depending on which button is pushed.
When one of steering wheel audio control switches is pushed to volume down, seek down, or power ON,
resistance in steering switch circuit changes depending on which button is pushed.
SPEED SENSITIVE VOLUME SYSTEM
Volume level of this system gone up and down automatically in proportion to the vehicle speed. And the control
level can be selected by the customer. This system is equipped for BOSE system.

·
4,601 Posts
Just barely make out the detail...

Attachments

·
4,601 Posts
With the ignition OFF, open the hood, pull out #38 for a few minutes, to reset everything. You know it's been successful when you put it back in, turn on the ignition and all your presets are wiped out.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmmm, That is indeed strange....I too just last week added Sirius to my 05 MO and everything works like it should... I can use the steering controls to switch channels/inputs etc..the only thing I did notice is that when I initially installed the system and tired the sterring controls it would automatically swith me back to the FM presets, that was untill I programmed a few sat channels now everything as I said works as it should...I would try what Jaak suggested and unplug the tuner to restore the "defaults" and see what happens....

·
4,601 Posts
As a side note, it took me a while before I realised this, but if you press and hold the steering wheel selector for the presets, it will jump to the next group of channels.

Neat idea, but since you can't select channels from the steering wheel kind of useless.

It's more practical with CD's and how it makes it jump to the next disc.

Getting back to the problem, if the fuse doesn't clear it, then you need to swap a component, like the sat receiver, or the radio to determine where the glitch is. Hmmm... wait. Let me think this out.

If you can change channels on the radio, then the sat receiver is working correctly, and it's a problem with your radio. The steering wheel controls are interpreted by the radio and then it sends the command to the sat receiver to go to whatever the next preset is. If it's a sat preset. If it's a radio preset, it will take it to FM.

Go to a different group of presets. e.g. if you're on presets A go to B and program them all with sat channels. Then try the steering wheel controls again.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
wingdam said:
I added the Nissan OEM Sirius radio to the existing wire harness of my '05 Murano and while everything works well, the steering wheel only controls the volume.

I can't switch sources or tune the sat radio with the wheel. When I try to cycle through the inputs it runs through everything except the sat radio and when I try to use the tune it switches to FM and tunes that.

Is that normal?

Thanks
I'm not sure there is a problem here... can you be more specific about exactly what you are doing and what happens?

Be sure to program some presets with SAT stations otherwise your channel selector will not select/tune a SAT station. Not trying to say that you don't know what you are doing but I can't find a good answer from what I've read thus far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did the reset and everything popped in and now all functions work.

Thanks to all who replied with help.

·
4,601 Posts
Excellent. Scrambled code got wiped clean by the loss of power. Definately in the radio, not the Sat receiver.

This is where I get to pretend to be a Service Advisor. "Wow, I never heard of that happening before!"

Actually true this time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts