Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recived a Murano 2005 witht he tech. package and nav. it has everything except the satellite working. Mydealer told me that it would cost $1000 to install the satellite therefore making the sat button work. I was told by the salesman the car is prewired for the satellite but I have to pay this crazy amount if I want it to work. . .FOR GOD SAKE'S MAN HELP ME. I hav edone research and looed up past forums but I cant decipher all of this into one logical explanation. What do I do. . .ALL I WANT IS MY XM RADIO AND I WANT TO SEE IT ON MY NAVI SCREEN. Please help!

Missing XM in NYC

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
If you buy the SAT kit yourself ..

and install it, it will be only $350 ish.
And you can save on labor.
It is prewired, so it will be easy.
And for God sake, dont have the dealer do it as they charge a lot on labor.

You can get sat kit at http://www.grubbsinfiniti.com/

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. Can I possibly get the instructions on how to install that off of here? I noticed pictured of people doing it but not step by step instructions.

Thanx

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot guys. found the instructions already. Now I just have to decide if I should get the intergrated system from parts or buy a aftermarket unit. since its a lease and goes back in a couple years. . .hmmmm ANY THOUGHTS?

·
5,100 Posts
Aftermarket is sure cheaper and you can take it with you easier. Delphi XM Roady2 is a great very low cost unit. GRIP :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was think about the commander due to its sleek looks and size. Any comments on that specific unit good\bad? Aftermarket is probably the way to go.

·
5,100 Posts
It is quite nice, I wanted smallll. GRIP :D

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
If you want it integrated, with steering wheel controls radio controls, functional preset buttons and integrated display, go OEM.

If you want something stuck somewhere that you have to fuss with, or just want something really inexpensive, go aftermarket.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you're leasing and plan to turn Mo in, why would you want to spend the extra $$$ for something you can't take with you to your next car.... '08 Mo???

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
It is a matter of choice. OEM ofcourse integrates better with existing head unit but you also don't own the car either. The leasing company does. My personal opinion is that unless you have a very long lease term or plan to buy your car at the end of the lease go aftermarket. That way you can take your equipment with you to your next vehicle.

·
5,100 Posts
GripperDon said:
Aftermarket is sure cheaper and you can take it with you easier. Delphi XM Roady2 is a great very low cost unit. GRIP :D
I agree with zebelkhan AND it has my favorite stock ticker!!

GRIP:D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I understand the rationale for buying the aftermarket unit especially if you lease.

But, I will make a prediction.
Taking your SAT with you when the lease is over isn't going to gain you much.
Your next car is going to have oem SAT installed already.

And BTW, your next car is going to have MP3 capability built in.

Homer

·
4,664 Posts
mozman said:
If you're leasing and plan to turn Mo in, why would you want to spend the extra $$$ for something you can't take with you to your next car.... '08 Mo???
Who says you can't take it? Every Nissan and Infiniti that's Sat capable uses the same N-bus inteface that based on the external CD changer interface that's been out for years.

It's highly unlikely they will change it. My Murano's leased and the XM is going into the '07 Murano I get. ( I bet you anyone getting an aftermarket XM receiver will be itching to upgrade to the latest by the time 2008 rolls around...)

There's even kits for moving the antenna...

It all depends what you want out of it. If you want a clean install with no wires, excellent integration, radio presets, etc. nothing beats the OEM.

If you want other things and don't mind another display and controls stuck somewhere, then aftermarket works too.

I love the fact that I don't have to look anywhere or take my hands off the steering wheel to flip through my favourite XM channels. No aftermarket system does that. (yet)

I can also have 18 XM presets in the radio, if I want. I can also flip through catagories off the steering wheel or radio, as well as select channels. And my Murano is clean and stock looking, the way I loved it when I saw it on the showroom floor.

So it depends what you want. Don likes to watch stock prices. I think that's great and he's made the right choice for him.
I love the fact that the SAT button does what it's supposed to with the OEM system and would never go aftermarket. Others feel the same about aftermarket and would never go OEM.

Everyone of us, has to make sure we're getting what we want, not what someone else thinks we should have.

So my advice, weigh what's important to you, and make the right choice for your needs. And if you think you'll be getting another Nissan, take the Sat with you... It works in the Infiniti's too, in case you move to an FX or a G35.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's been my experience that when the dealer tells you that the pricfe is some exhorbiant amount, that simply means they don't want your business. If your sold on the OEM solution, you could certainly buy the parts from Nissan or Infiniti and have a local auto stereo shop do the install.

I'm pretty sure they'd get it done in less than 2 hours, with reasonable directions, and even if they charged Nissan labor rates of $75 per hour, your still way under the $1,000 quote.

You could also try another dealer if you have one in the area.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
jaak said:

Who says you can't take it? Every Nissan and Infiniti that's Sat capable uses the same N-bus inteface that based on the external CD changer interface that's been out for years.

So my advice, weigh what's important to you, and make the right choice for your needs. And if you think you'll be getting another Nissan, take the Sat with you... It works in the Infiniti's too, in case you move to an FX or a G35.
And even if you don't buy another Nissan, you can still pop the parts out and recoup some of your dough on Ebay.

I vote for the integrated SAT.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What would really be cool (And economical) would be if you could unsnap the SAT from your car (MUST be a cinch to do) and take it inside and snap it into your stereo (MUST be a cinch to do).

Any way to do that yet?

Homer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two thoughts

1. I've got 10 thumbs and so had the dealer install the OEM unit on my '04, and Ipaid $600 for both the parts (i.e. the unit) and labor, so $1,000 seems like gouging. I also seem to recall that others on the forum indicated that they get it even cheaper

2. While I strongly prefer the OEM unit, I had an XM skyfi in my prior car and now use that for my home, so if you go aftermarket there may be some residual use for your aftermarket unit even if your '08 Murano does already come with integrated satellite.

·
4,664 Posts
hfelknor said:
What would really be cool (And economical) would be if you could unsnap the SAT from your car (MUST be a cinch to do) and take it inside and snap it into your stereo (MUST be a cinch to do).

Any way to do that yet?

Homer
No, but the thought has crossed my mind, as you can see in the project thread...

·
4,664 Posts
In reality, it wouldn't look like that, 'cause that interface sucks.

Here's what I did ten years ago for an amateur radio transceiver, but it would be a lot simpler than this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts