Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the ts5 pkg. that is pre wired for xm, or sirrius. The folks at xm told me to see the dealer, the dealer told me to talk to xm. I cant get a straight answer. I plugged it in the power point but the reception is really bad. If I put the transmitter(black plastic square) on the dash it is bearable. But I got the pre wire for a reason and this isnt it!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
RktReno said:
I bought the ts5 pkg. that is pre wired for xm, or sirrius. The folks at xm told me to see the dealer, the dealer told me to talk to xm. I cant get a straight answer. I plugged it in the power point but the reception is really bad. If I put the transmitter(black plastic square) on the dash it is bearable. But I got the pre wire for a reason and this isnt it!
RktReno-

That black plastic square that you called the transmitter is actually the antenna. The antenna needs a clear line of site to the satellite for best reception. The optimum place for the antenna is on the roof. Give it a shot and see if the reception doesn't improve significantly.

Good luck.

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: satellite radio

njjoe said:

RktReno-

That black plastic square that you called the transmitter is actually the antenna. The antenna needs a clear line of site to the satellite for best reception. The optimum place for the antenna is on the roof. Give it a shot and see if the reception doesn't improve significantly.

Good luck.

-njjoe
How would I put it on the roof? (the cable, and glass) I am not even remotley experienced with electricity.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
How would you describe the reception? Full of static or music/statations come in and come out?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: Re: Re: satellite radio

RktReno said:

How would I put it on the roof? (the cable, and glass) I am not even remotley experienced with electricity.
Take a 1/2 drill and a sawz-all, then... :headslap: Only Kidding!

The antenna gets mounted on the roof just forward of the rear hatch, and the antenna wire is run to the satellite radio box. Check with the instructions that came with the unit, but I would think the antenna would be mounted on the roof with double-back tape. The wire would be run through the hatch opening, so it is best to mount the antenna as close to the hatch opening as possible without interfering with the hatch opening and closing.

Stop by a local Nissan dealer and see where/how they mounted the antenna.

There are other forums members who have done just what you are planning on doing. Wait for them to weigh in, I am sure they will offer some very valuable advice.

Good luck with your new MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonzo said:
How would you describe the reception? Full of static or music/statations come in and come out?
A little static but more in and out, as I have the antenna on the pass. air bag at present.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: satellite radio

njjoe said:

Take a 1/2 drill and a sawz-all, then... :headslap: Only Kidding!

The antenna gets mounted on the roof just forward of the rear hatch, and the antenna wire is run to the satellite radio box. Check with the instructions that came with the unit, but I would think the antenna would be mounted on the roof with double-back tape. The wire would be run through the hatch opening, so it is best to mount the antenna as close to the hatch opening as possible without interfering with the hatch opening and closing.

Stop by a local Nissan dealer and see where/how they mounted the antenna.

There are other forums members who have done just what you are planning on doing. Wait for them to weigh in, I am sure they will offer some very valuable advice.

Good luck with your new MO.

I found a thread right here with pictures and step by step. It looks a little intensive for a supposed factory pre wire. I will get at it and see what I can do today. (sawzall, scared me to death)

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. You should NOT be hearing static of SAT radio. If anything it might cut in and out but if the car is not moving and you have sound it will most likely stay.

I don't think it is the atenna location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts