Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Help! I've got some very minor scratches on the rear bumper of my '04 SE AWD as a result of "grazing" a small post while backing my beautiful car up.

Does anyone have any tricks for removing minor scratches on the plastic body panels? My car's color is Sheer Silver.

Thanks in advance!

kirk

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
If it's just a paint scratch, then see if you can get a bottle of "touch-up" paint from the dealer. Should be cheap ($10 or so). I have always gotten a bottle of touch up paint from the dealer for every car I have owned. Very useful, and they can get you the exact color match based on your vin number.

If it's a deeper scratch where plastic was removed, then you might need to get some filler. Some shops will do a "buffing" type job where they fill the crack then buff it out so that it's smooth. Then you can use your touch-up paint to finish it off. I have no idea how much that would cost, though.

~ Corin

·
Registered
104 Posts
i have the same question. the thing is that i'm looking for something to remove the scratches, something or someone else left on my car. the goodnews is that the car itself is not scratched, but the paint or material from whatever grazed my silver bullet is on it. i've tried a car wash, but to no abail. i was wondering if anyone knew of another cleaning solution. i've gotten some suggestions, like waxing it and buffing it, but it hasn't worked all that well. there this chemical called goo off, but its only for fabrics, you guys think its ok to use on the MO? or any other ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the past, I've gotten decent results with GS27 scratch remover as long as the scratch is fairly superficial. However, I've found it seems to work much better on the painted metal surfaces rather than the painted plastic ones.

My sister had her car grazed by another and she had these black rubber marks all along a door from the other guy's bumper and the GS27 did a decent job of getting it off.

It's available at Pep Boys and probably most other auto supply stores.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I have some Scratch Out polishing compound that worked very well for stuff like that. It's at any auto parts store like Pep Boys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"she had these black rubber marks all along a door from the other guy's bumper"

thats exactly what happened. its not that severe, but the black rubber marks nails it on the head. i'm gonna run out and get that gs27. thanks. hope it works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've also used the G27 remover with good results on a white Sunfire I had a few years ago. Recently, I bumped my MO with the step stool I was standing on to wash the roof. Ouch! Nice white spot of paint on my dark blue paint, and no G27 on hand. Remembered something a buddy of mine said, and tried it. A small dab of toothpaste took it off without leaving any marks. Washed it off and all was well. For large marks, I'd invest in another tube of G27.

Cheers!

·
Registered
104 Posts
toothpaste

i'll try that tomorrow. since i already have a tube ready to go. i'll let you guys know how that turned out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to write a quick note to thank Tworules for the toothpaste trick, IT WORKED! I've only had my GORGEOUS pearl white Mo for two months and just hand washed it and saw to my horror a red mark on the back plastic rear bumper and DIED! I ran in here and searched the posts and found the toothpaste idea and it worked. It took a lot of rubbing but it came off. I think it was my kid's friends red scooter that had scratched it and it looked a crayon mark, big one. There was no deep mark so I was hoping it was minor. My Easter four day vacation is now calm, hahah. That had ruined my entire day. I'm now onto a post for the tan leather on my drivers seat, the out edge seems like it's getting darker like the color of denium and I wear dresses and only weight 120LBS so I'm wondering why it's doing this. No one else is allowed to drive her but me? Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts