Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Hv 2 questions..

1. There are tiny 2" scratches and little bit of paint removed in the rear bumper. I'hvnt done the detailing before so I'm seeking advice. The dealer sales guy told me to buff it up and use the touch-up paint. I have the paint. So shd I just use a old cloth to wipe around the scratches and then simple apply the paint or is there a 'tool' for buffing ?

2. My driver leather seat is forming my butt impression. My Mo is just 8 months old. Never had a leather seat before. Is this normal ?

Thnx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look into a product called Langka, which allows you to smooth-out the blob often left by touch-up paint.

http://www.langka.com

It's a bit of an art form. Mothers Polish used to sell a similar product called Paint Chip Repair, but it's a little hard to find... it didn't catch on as it's a bit "nitchy," but it works real good.

You'll probably have to buy Langka online. It basically softens the semi-dry touch-up paint enough so you can spread it smooth.

As for your leather, probably it's just the design of your seat in combination with the upholstery... or if you're like me, you've been putting on the weight over the winter. :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I like langka. Used it on three cars now.

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Not my business

but how do your weight and stature compare? Are the leather the same color?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only have the blob eliminator... had they offered the kit (and the video) at the time, I probably would have gotten those.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
i bought the whole kit. I had three chips on the hood of a Miata. Two about the size of dimes one smaller.
Did the first one over and over again. did the next two first time out.
It would help if you (or your assistant.....hint) has some artistic talent.
I have none.
Did it work?
Well about aq month later, with 5 coats of zaino applied, the car was awarded first ploace in the "new car-daily driver) category at the Ft Pierce Concourse de'elegance.
Second place wnet to a 1 year old black corvette literaqlly dripping with MeGuiars. The jusges never guessed tyat I had repaired the chips.
NOTE the paint was a bright red. NO metallic andf it was a year olod in perfect shape. So, the touch up was a perfect match.
IF you paint has faded OR if you have a metallic paint, you will never match perfectly.

As to my size, I am 5'7" and weigh 175 pounds.

Homer

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Maybe the other gentleman

stresses the seat more.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
maybe .......stresses the seat more.

Maybe.
In any even I edited my pix and statements out.

Looked at all the typos and thought I would explain.
I'm on the road and these chiclet keyboards on the laptops
are very difficult for me. I don't know why.

Homer

·
Registered
132 Posts
hawk1 said:

2. My driver leather seat is forming my butt impression. My Mo is just 8 months old. Never had a leather seat before. Is this normal ?

Thnx
Is the "dent" still in your seat the next day?

Maybe they skimped on the padding? Maybe your scale is broken? Maybe you're carrying all your weight in your butt? (and your arms and legs are like pipe-cleaners??) :D

Could always pull off the upholstery and add more padding, or replace the padding with a better quality padding... that "Memory Foam" stuff they sell for bedding might be a better choice...

OverStock.com has in on sale.

I need to look at the manual on how to take the leather seat upholstery off.... Getting Helen Keller to split the atom with a hammer and dull chisel while plastered on moonshine and ridding a roller coaster backwards might be a simpler task.... yeah easier even with the fact that she's been dead for 38 years.

Just thought I'd point out that today is the first and last time I'll ever use the word "upholstery".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the bump impression is still there the next day. I'm just 145 lbs..cant believe my bony a$$ can make an impression ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the leather in our mo started going wavy after less than 2 weeks since new. the leatherique just came in the mail so i'll try that when it warms up outside.

·
Registered
132 Posts
nissanlove said:
the leather in our mo started going wavy after less than 2 weeks since new. the leatherique just came in the mail so i'll try that when it warms up outside.
From what I've read leatherique is great stuff... if you could take some before and after pictures would be great! ...then again, your mo is only two weeks old... what would photos show?

My mo is 2 years old, and to me I think the waviness in the seats might be more from a lack of padding, or padding compression ... if it could be replaced with something with more spring, like the memory foam that you see on late night tv.

This would keep the leather tight. Then again, I don't know how foam would hold up from summer heat, heated seats, and winter cold... might turn into crumbs?... burst into flames?

I was reading the service manual this evening ... looking at what it would take to add/re-pad the front seats padding... ugh. If I have time tomorrow (Saturday) I'll try to see whats taking the seat apart involves and take lots of pictures so I'll know how to put it back together, and to post if it turns out like I think it might.

added:4/11/06 - I never had time last weekend... I never have any time anymore

·
Registered
132 Posts
hawk1 said:
This is how my seat looks..
The mark on your leather is caused by your sweaty butt... you're wetting the leather and then stretching it out of shape with your weight.

When leather is wet and left to dry it will shrink... but if wet and force applied it will stretch...

use a very good leather protector spray and soak the whole chair and massage it in to the leather, do the next seat the same way, and when you're done the second chair then wipe down the first seat (giving it time to soak in) and do all your seats like this. Don't sit (or anything) on them while they're drying and the dent (lose leather) should tighten up.

... and to stop it from coming back ... you could spray your butt with antiperspirant ... :rolleyes: or put a towel or pillow down on your seat...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
our mo is actually just about a year old. i applied the leatherique yesterday and am waiting for it to dry up now. so far the waves are still there.

·
5,244 Posts
Margatenj said:

The mark on your leather is caused by your sweaty butt... you're wetting the leather and then stretching it out of shape with your weight.

When leather is wet and left to dry it will shrink... but if wet and force applied it will stretch...

use a very good leather protector spray and soak the whole chair and massage it in to the leather, do the next seat the same way, and when you're done the second chair then wipe down the first seat (giving it time to soak in) and do all your seats like this. Don't sit (or anything) on them while they're drying and the dent (lose leather) should tighten up.

... and to stop it from coming back ... you could spray your butt with antiperspirant ... :rolleyes: or put a towel or pillow down on your seat...

LOL :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I guess some seats are different than others.
I have been checking out the new roadsters (Miata, Solstice, Sky) and none of them have had problems with their seats.
After all, they are all brand new.
Until this one.
This is from a dark blue Solstice on Ebay.
It is being sold by a dealer as a new car.
176 miles I think.
In other words, brand spankin new.

Homer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
well... after application of the leatherique, the waves in the seats were almost entirely gone. i don't think i go that steam room effect enough because of the front door window tinting. but leatherique does work wonders. it softened the leather but it smells kinda nasty(the product itself, it did bring back the rich leather scent though) so give leatherique a shot. a couple applications should solve your problem. the thing is the waves come back once your start driving the mo again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts