Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to wash the MO for the first time yesterday. After the wash I see all these, what looks to be, scratches on the roof! They run parallel to the inside side of the roof rails. Strangely they run down both sides of the car and are almost symmetrical! At the front of the roof and where the passenger door starts, there are short scratches going perpendicular! Again, it's on both sides of the car!

I used a brand new sheep skin wash mitt and did the top of the car first. I rinse all through out the wash. I then dried using a sponge cloth. No other scratches anywhere else on the car except the roof so I don't think it's something I did!

Anyway, I decided to try and put some wax on to see if it would buff out. Thankfully all the scratches faded after some hand buffing. So now I wonder if these scratches were there already before I took delivery of the car a month ago and the dealer just buffed them out!

Do you guys know if these scratches can get deeper with washes? Also is there any more permanent way to protect these scratches now? Wax doesn't last for very long so I'm hoping for something "harder" and longer lasting. Hope someone has some suggestions!

Thanks,
PF

------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 SL AWD - Pewter

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hate to admit to this, but I thought I had scratches in exactly the same places that you described. They didn't disappear after a washing either. On closer examination, the 'scratches' were a little glue left behind when the plastic sheeting used to protect the car during shipping were taken off during prep. It DOES come off with a little diligence!

Regards,
Chuck Lane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey that would make sense! The "scratches" look the same on both sides...I've never seen anything like that before. And they're very dark in colour, which seemed strange too. It's gone now after I put the wax on. Hopefully if and when it comes back I will see if I can diligently remove it! Btw, did you use anything special to get rid of it or just after multiple washings it disappeared?

Thanks,
PF

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Use a hair dryer to warm it up a bit and then use a soft plastic (Credit Card will do) and carefully scrape it off.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Clay Bar did mine, GRIP :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you bought the car new, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them remove the glue. or whatever the residue is.... You might even get a free "detail" job !! :)

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I find that many dealer "detail" jobs are a drive through a carwash and vacuum of interior. They might use some tire dressing to make it look all nice and "detailed."

When I bought my Murano, there was a large scratch on the trim near the ignition ring. It took three phone calls to the dealer to get them to schedule me for an appointment with their "vinyl guy", despite the fact I was assured this would be taken care of before I took delivery of the car! But I got it done, and the "fixer" did a wonderful job, you cannot tell the scratch was ever there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies! No, I think I'll pass on having the dealer take care of it. They're a bunch of doorknobs! When I took delivery they forgot to do my undercoat/rustproof. They then forgot to give me my owner's manual so I had to go back and pick it up. Then I find the widnshield washer resevoir and coolant resevoir near empty. Holy jeez!

Yeah, the glue is just in a list of stuff....

On a happier note, the car drives well. Rattles a little but much improvement over my previous Acura.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
You didn't miss out much on the rustproofing. No modern car needs that treatment (if anything is done at all).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I wish I read the posts here first. They gave me a "deal" on it so I took it. 50% off...yada yada... you know the story... :-(

I still can't tell they ever did anything!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.