Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I think I began on the wrong foot by posting in the wrong place. I apologise for that, not familiar with these forums, old school brigade?? Anyway had this horrible screeching noise coming from under my Murano V6 which occurred 3wks ago when climbing a slope which lasted 3sec and nothing since yesterday. Well it happened again yesterday coupled with a clunking noise I thought the driveshaft was coming loose. However the Roadside Rescue couldn't detect anything so it was towed to garage for further investigation. Was low on anti-freeze but that's all no overheating, temp gauge normal and I had topped up reservoir and radiator 3days before. Tow truck driver says if it starts ok and moves off he doesn't think it's the motor, in his opinion it's the Waterpump. Beats me , any ideas anyone?
Cheers

·
Registered
771 Posts
Screeching is most likely a belt or a bearing. My water pump went on my old subaru and sounded horrible intermittently and then just seized up one day. Another part that went on a Honda was an idler pulley bearing - thought it was the belt, but the pulley seized up and the fried the belt. A good mechanic will be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its Fri 20th an the garage wont get to investigate til Mon. But the loss of coolant has me worried, I wonder if this has something to do with the problem?

·
Registered
743 Posts
You may want to replace your radiator cap if it's old. It keeps pressure in the system to avoid boiling and loss of coolant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cap doesn't look to bad but I wonder if I'd secured it properly after topping radiator up why water or coolant was dripping from protective tray.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
A screech is usually a belt slipping on a pulley. It can also be a idler pulley which is occasionally seizing up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok folks had a chat with Mechanic and he believes it's the Dif. Says motor has to come out so he can check for any further damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Screeching from a differential? Color me doubtful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts