Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed the other day that there is a screw in my tire.. im affraid to take it out because that would leave a hole in the tire and the tire would just flatten out in time.. im also affraid to drive with it because im affraid it can just pop out anytime and then leave me with a flat probably somewhere in no mans land.. what would you guys suggest i do? put the spair on and take it to a tire shop have them remove it and then patch it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have had a nail in my tire for about 8 months now. I haven't had any problems or leaks with it. However I should get it repaired with a plug. It's better to be safe than sorry....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jay, have the screw taken out at a gas station. They'll plug it with a tarry rope plug or other patch that makes a permanent seal. It only costs 6-8 bucks. I've had to do this a couple of times because of Baltimore streets. You'll find you're not always watching tire pressure to see if you are leaking air...leaving you time to SMILE while you're cruising up and down the road! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same experience with screw in tire - I drove it to my local tire shop, and confirmed they had the time to plug the tire if necessary. Then, pulled the screw out while parked in their lot, to find that it was so short that there was no penetration (or leak).

I figured that (with my usual luck) if I pulled it at home, it would be a leaker, and I would then have to pull the tire off to take it to get plugged..:) ..!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Pull it out and plug it. You may also find that it is a very short screw and did not puncture the tire to cause an air leak.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Gonzo said:
Pull it out and plug it. You may also find that it is a very short screw and did not puncture the tire to cause an air leak.
A word of advice when it comes to plugging tire holes,check to see if the manufacture will still warranty the tire with a plug instaed of a patch. I use to bust tires for GDY when I was in college and unless the hole was patched they would not cover any other warranty claims. They claimed that the plug could upset the tire balance,also you cannot plug a sidewall hole with a plug only with a patch.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yea, if you can find a place to patch it use a patch. A better solution than a plug.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Georgia will not allow plugs to be used by a tire dealer anymore. They must patch it from the inside, period.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Same goes for Florida, no more Plugs. Patches only. At least in my county anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts