Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying an 04 Murano and I don't know which model to buy. I have driven two SE's, but I have never driven an SL. Any comments?

Hawk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I test drove both the SE and the SL before I bought my 2003 about 4 months ago.. To me, the SL has a much softer ride.. more bounce, more sway/body roll, etc. As my other car is a 2000 Corvette, I was much more interested in the ride of the SE vs. the SL.

Good luck picking one..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I must admit to be a bit biased, but I love my SE AWD. You buy a Murano because it handles a bit more swiftly than other crossovers, why not get the SE version to get the most out of it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two very good points. thanks for the responses.

i have a mustang cobra now, so i probably will gravitate towards the se model.

hawk

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I ended up going with the SL AWD model. I didnt test drive the SE, but that was because I couldnt find one loaded. The SL has a nice ride. I had a Mustang GT before this and find the ride to be more comforting on the bumpy roads I encounter on my daily commute. In my opinion, test drive til your content. I've read several posts on this forum and other car reviews stating that the SE was a bit rough on bumpy roads. Just do your homework and you should be fine. :29:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I tried both thE SE AND SL (mo)

SE:
- sport suspension feel , less body roll,
- comes with more 'standard' option than sl
- based model cost more than SL based model.
- the interior quality is the same.

SL:
- cheaper ,
- more body roll and 'floaty' kind of feeling while driving
- the base model is very 'basic'.
- my dealer will give fully loaded SL (with nav) at $1500 cheaper than SE's fully loaded model. Turns out that there are more SL in stock then SE.

I got my self an SL AWD, reason: saving money. I did not get that many add-in-options and personally i like the ride better than SE's sport suspension. You should test drive both SE and SL to make a fair judgement, afterall it is 30ish thousand dollars car you are buying right?

Dont be a remorsed buyer. Go to other dealer if you have to.
:D . Good luck with your purchase, post pics when u got the MO

·
5,244 Posts
As SugarRushMurano I test drove both the SL and SE. I did like the handling of the SE, however I elected to go for SL for nice, smooth drive. It is great for long hauls, especially when the road surface gets a little bumpy. And the handlig is good too.

I would advice go to a dealer, test drive SE, then SL, then again SE. Decide for yourself. Rely on your own feeling.

Which ever model you choose you will be happy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
test drive is important

There is a big difference in the ride. I had read in reviews that the SE is just too harsh and did not plan to try it. But we had asked ahead of time to do an extended test drive and the salesman set us up with one of each. We test drove both the SE and SL for about an hour and a half each I liked the stiffer feel of the SE right away. It took my spouse a little while to come around. Two months later and we are not at all sorry. It has a really solid feel in all situations.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
In reality I don't think there is a huge difference between the SL and SE. All the mags test the SL and praise the handling and knock the ride quality. Car and Driver (I believe) tested an SL and noted that it handled like a BMW X5. I take it the SE would come even closer to the real X5 handling, if one were to think of the Murano as an inexpensive X5.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but I've heard that the only difference between the SE and SL suspensions are:

1) Rear shocks
2) Front springs
3) Front shocks

Both models have the same sway bars.

Has anyone checked to see how much it would cost to have an SL converted to SE, or vice versa?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Redbeard said:
This is slightly off topic, but I've heard that the only difference between the SE and SL suspensions are:

1) Rear shocks
2) Front springs
3) Front shocks

Both models have the same sway bars.

Has anyone checked to see how much it would cost to have an SL converted to SE, or vice versa?
I think the cost would be prohibitive, and its better just to wait until better aftermarket parts exist, like adjustable struts/shocks such as KYB AGX.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I went with the SL AWD for these reasons

1. Lower price
2. Better ride (it's not a sports car, so it doesn't need to handle like one)
3. Lower price :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts