Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my SE for about a week, and have put 800 miles on it driving on highways and secondary roads in frozen NH & MA. I am very unhappy with the ride quality--every bump, wrinkle, crack in the road is transmitted, and I'm exhausted after riding on anything but the smoothest road. I've owned some relatively stiff cars before, but this is ridiculous. Is there a huge difference between the SE and SL suspension? I test drove the SL's, and the dealer assured me that the SE ride quality was basically the same, and like a moron I believed him. However, I did not test drive on very rough roads, as i figured that a 4000 lb vehicle would be relatively smooth.

The handling is superb, but I think they overdamped the shocks. Or am I just a wuss?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Well the SE has 'sport tuned' suspension... no dealer has been able to tell me what that exactly means. Stiffer springs, shocks, who knows?

Check your tire pressure and try to match it with what's on the 'sticker' on the side of the drive door. I've found that a lot of dealers will overinflate tires...

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
That's exactly why I didn't even consider the SE. I traded in a 2002 Acura RSX and was fed up with rough, noisy rides. Even though the supposed tighter handling of the SE sounded attractive, most reviews I read complained about bumps even with the SL. The SL definitely isn't as bad as the Acura but the SL still is relatively rough.

I'm sure it has to be the fault of the suspension design. Our 2002 BMW 325i handles better than the Murano of course, but you barely feel any bumps. I always wanted to leave the Acura at home but then I have to hear my wife complain about how I was driving her 325!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion to check the tires. They were 38 psi cold (and I mean at 20 deg F), and the suggested max is 33 psi cold. I took them down to the 33 psi, and I think it felt less harsh on my communte to work. I imagine that the extra 5 psi makes a pretty big difference, especially given the firm suspension and low tire profile.

I expected that the car would be delivered to me from the dealer in perfect spec--pretty naive of me. The rough ride ruined the first week of ownership for me, and unfortunately for Nissan, the five people that came up to me at gas stations and parking lots to admire the car and ask how I liked it got a pretty weak reference.

By the way, how does the tire pressue monitoring system work, and does any one have any idea how accurate (or at least repeatable) such a system is? There was a few psi difference between my manual gauge and the car's system. (both were cold readings)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Wrench, I hope your ride is better now that you have adjusted your air pressure.

I have an SE and I can't complain about the suspension. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Perhaps I'm just used to it. Frankly, I really enjoy the suspension, especially around corners. It's most definately different (and better) than the SL.

Just don't go over any deep/large bumps because you will get rattled, more so than if you were in an off roader like a Pathfinder or Xterra. I think this holds true for the SL as well. I had a Pathfinder before the Murano and I'm still having trouble getting out of that truck mentality. I've been rattled a few times.

8) 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Glad that it worked out - My dealer used to inflate the tires on my Stealth TT to 38psi! :shock: Talk about a rough ride -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
The suggested psi may be 33psi but you will have better handling and fuel economy at a higher psi. If you like the 33, then stick with it, but I prefer a higher number. As long as you aren't too close to the tire's maximum, which I think may be around 50psi, you're fine. I set my tires at 38psi in a SL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Senor Wrench. Sorry you had a bad first week with your SE. We bought our SE in early Dec. Have 5700 miles on it now. I set our pressures at 38psi cold. We live up a rough dirt road and the higher pressures will have them lasting a bit longer, I am told by our local tire dealer. We are used to harsh riding cars. I like the performance of a higher pressure tire in the curves. I have a 1987 Mazda 626 Turbo also. Put on KBY GR-2 shocks and oversize Bridgestone Potenza's and it rides stiff but is a nice thrill in the twistys. :D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,664 Posts
I found the SE a bit harsh on test drives, which is one of the many reasons I went with the SL. (I didn't want a computer trying to drive for me either, and liked the cloth interior over the leather. Had leather in the Maxima and liked it there better. The little boy in me would have liked the HID's but really that's no big deal...)

On the Maxima, it was basically the same suspension, but they stiffened it up a bit. I suspect the Murano is the same, but I don't know for a fact. As a result, I can take slightly more body roll for a better ride.

On the bright side, you don't have 20's!! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I like the SE suspension better then the SL

I guess it is all really personal taste.

Drove an SL 2WD first, loved the CVT, questioned the suspension, tightness, responsiveness...

The drove an SL AWD, loved the AWD... but the grip/feel was not as good as I wanted...

Then I drove an SE and loved it. I like feeling every ripple of the road. My SE AWD is very responsive, love the ride. Great on the highway with that long wheelbase. Quiet, smooth, just the way I like it. Really a great vehicle.

Again, it is personal taste. But, if the only choice had been an SL I may not have made the purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
If you check the specs on the standard Murano tires you will find that they are average (scale 1-10) of good tires they are 6 in confort, traction and performance
6 is not a bad number in tires but if you look carefully at specs you will find better tires rating 8,9,10 for your murano.
changing the tires to new ones with good rating will make a big difference on your ride and performance.

check out kumho,michellin, yokohama goodyear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
american said:
If you check the specs on the standard Murano tires you will find that they are average (scale 1-10) of good tires they are 6 in confort, traction and performance
6 is not a bad number in tires but if you look carefully at specs you will find better tires rating 8,9,10 for your murano.
changing the tires to new ones with good rating will make a big difference on your ride and performance.

check out kumho,michellin, yokohama goodyear.
At this point tire fitment is very limited for the Murano. The only tire in the stock size are the stock tires (Goodyear LS), and the only true plus zero sizes are not quite "car" tires, but are "truck" sport tires (which might be so great on the Murano, since the Murano really is a car).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Tire Pressue Monitor logic

I was messing around with my settings in my garage and noticed that the dealership overinflated my tires. They were 38-39 psi when they should actually be around 33 each. I think I have figured out the logic for the TPM system.

33 33 33 33...In this order sitting in the car, it's Driver's Left Front, Left Passenger Rear, Right Passenger Rear, Right Front Passenger.

I stumbled accross this when I was deflating the tires to the correct tires pressure. I pressed the TPMS on the display while the car was off, but in the power mode to change the options. I deflated quite a bit of air from 38 to 33 and as soon as I got to 33 on my tire gauge, I saw the TPMS ligh up with just that one tire pressure. I started moving around the car and they lit up as I was moving around!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,402 Posts
Re: Tire Pressue Monitor logic

iqnupe said:
I was messing around with my settings in my garage and noticed that the dealership overinflated my tires. They were 38-39 psi when they should actually be around 33 each. I think I have figured out the logic for the TPM system.

33 33 33 33...In this order sitting in the car, it's Driver's Left Front, Left Passenger Rear, Right Passenger Rear, Right Front Passenger.

I stumbled accross this when I was deflating the tires to the correct tires pressure. I pressed the TPMS on the display while the car was off, but in the power mode to change the options. I deflated quite a bit of air from 38 to 33 and as soon as I got to 33 on my tire gauge, I saw the TPMS ligh up with just that one tire pressure. I started moving around the car and they lit up as I was moving around!
Its sort of random according to how the dealer originally initialized the TPMS. So now that you know what it is on your car, its not the same for everyone else's car (if it is, its a coincidence). That said, now you can keep track of which tire is which when you rotate your tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks for the note Eric. I did not think about the TPMS sensors being wireless in a sense attached to each tire. That's going to be a hard one to keep up with after a few rotations!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
I have a SE and find the ride a bit too firm to my liking. I like the SE ride better, but I wanted the equipent level of the SE. Eventually I will be changing the rear shocks to the SL level adn installing air springs with an auto-leveller.

I have 20k miles now, and noticed that the shocks have really softened up since they have gotten broken in. The motor is breathing much better too. Zoooom!

The actual equipment difference is:
* Frimer Front Struts only (same springs as SL)
* Frimer Rear Shocks AND Springs

Just changing the rear shocks and springs would make a big diffrence. The rear suspension firmness is felt mostly in the seats, wheras the front is felt mostly in teh steerign wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Taylormade said:
That's exactly why I didn't even consider the SE. I traded in a 2002 Acura RSX and was fed up with rough, noisy rides. Even though the supposed tighter handling of the SE sounded attractive, most reviews I read complained about bumps even with the SL. The SL definitely isn't as bad as the Acura but the SL still is relatively rough.

Interesting, I traded the exact same car for my MO for the exact same reason. And I went with the SL, again for the same reason.:29: Did you have the Type S or the regular version? I had the regular, didn't want the Type S due to the dealer relating that it was rougher than the regular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I tested recently SE after driving my SL for over 1 year and found a little difference between those two. I think it is difficult to design the suspension for a good handling car with almost sport handling quality like Murano and isolate rough roads feel. There will always be tradeoffs. I suggest to deflate tires to a minimum allowable pressure. Sometime shop preps overinflate tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
beemer-biker said:



Interesting, I traded the exact same car for my MO for the exact same reason. And I went with the SL, again for the same reason.:29: Did you have the Type S or the regular version? I had the regular, didn't want the Type S due to the dealer relating that it was rougher than the regular.
I had a Type S too...traded it in for an SE AWD. Had to for the baby. Wouldnt have done it again though...kinda disappointed with the Nissan quality...maybe it's just Nissan is good, but Honda is better?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I thought my SE was a bit stiff, but I think the trade-off in handling is worth it. Also, it has softened up a bit to the point that it's not as noticeable as it first was. I've got 3800 miles on it at this point, so perhaps it's "broken in".

Dave
'04 SE AWD
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top