Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a SE and find the ride a bit too firm to my liking. I like the SE ride better, but I wanted the equipent level of the SE. Eventually I will be changing the rear shocks to the SL level adn installing air springs with an auto-leveller.

I have 20k miles now, and noticed that the shocks have really softened up since they have gotten broken in. The motor is breathing much better too. Zoooom!

The actual equipment difference is:
* Frimer Front Struts only (same springs as SL)
* Frimer Rear Shocks AND Springs

Just changing the rear shocks and springs would make a big diffrence. The rear suspension firmness is felt mostly in the seats, wheras the front is felt mostly in teh steerign wheel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Okay, the "diffrence between the SE and SL suspension is:
* Firmer front struts (not springs) on the SE
* Firmer rear springs and shocks on the SE

The Murano doesn't have very long suspension travel compared to a BMW, or compared to most cars for that matter. The result of this is firmer control of the suspension movement, so the suspension does not "bottom". If it were softer, it would "bang" more frequently on larger bumps.

A BMW for example has soft springs, and firm control (shocks). The longer travel allows for soft springs so it can absorb road irregularties and bumps withought becomeing upset . The firm shocks help it to stay connected to the road, and handle superbly.

The Mo's short travel needs the firm springs to keep it near the "sweet spot" under load. Even though mine will bottom under load... There is not really a way to make it drive more like a BMW withought re-engineering the suspension to have a longer travel. :-(

I have 20k miles on my SE now, and I am either used to it, or it has softened up a bit. Maybe some of both. The firm ride was my first complaint in the beginning too. I am better about it now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.