Nissan Murano Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Okay, the "diffrence between the SE and SL suspension is:
* Firmer front struts (not springs) on the SE
* Firmer rear springs and shocks on the SE

The Murano doesn't have very long suspension travel compared to a BMW, or compared to most cars for that matter. The result of this is firmer control of the suspension movement, so the suspension does not "bottom". If it were softer, it would "bang" more frequently on larger bumps.

A BMW for example has soft springs, and firm control (shocks). The longer travel allows for soft springs so it can absorb road irregularties and bumps withought becomeing upset . The firm shocks help it to stay connected to the road, and handle superbly.

The Mo's short travel needs the firm springs to keep it near the "sweet spot" under load. Even though mine will bottom under load... There is not really a way to make it drive more like a BMW withought re-engineering the suspension to have a longer travel. :-(

I have 20k miles on my SE now, and I am either used to it, or it has softened up a bit. Maybe some of both. The firm ride was my first complaint in the beginning too. I am better about it now.

·
5,243 Posts
I think we are getting used to it........i thought that SE was OK, but my wf wanted SL. Ride was softer ans handling was quite OK. Now, I think that SL is soft. I feel it everytime I get off the FX..........funny, now wf prefers FX..........better handling and the suspension is not that hard...............go figure..............Anyway, SL great for long hauling and SE fun for driving...............

just my2c

·
Registered
83 Posts
When we were looking for the wifes new car we tested BMW 3-series,they rode like go carts -no suspension! She ended up getting the Acura TL and loves it. I opted for the SE because of the suspension and feel it is more cush than many other autos out there. Recently took the MO for ride in mountains of No. Cal and it rocked through the twisties like a sports car-well a tall sports car! Loved it!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
04,SL,AWD

Hi All, I would like to upgrade the shocks/springs on my SL. Only a week old but couldn't find what I wanted in an SE anywhere, so "settled" for the SL with everything else I wanted and in the right color (C15). Can do without the manual shift option since the D.Ds.L combo does everything I could ask for on the SL, but I think I would be happier with the SE's firmer, more controlled suspension setup.

If it is, as noted in this thread, shocks in front and shocks/springs in back, does anybody have any specific recommendations for replacement parts ? Seems like it would be a simple upgrade to gain the "sport Tuned" suspension of the SE without a major investment. Am I right/wrong ?

Thx

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Personally I would wait until KYB AGX shocks are available for the Murano (might take a year or two) - they will improve handling noticeably.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.