Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the car magazines I've read recommend the SL over the SE. They find the SE ride too harsh, and prefer the SL's softer ride. What is the consensus out there? Should I test drive them both? Does the firm sport tuned suspension really make that much difference?

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I would recommend getting out there and using your "Butt-o-meter" to see for yourself. I can't speak for the SE, because I have never ridden in one. I got the SL because a lot of the places I read said the same thing, plus it was the only one within 50 miles that had all of the options that I wanted and color to.

Give it a try, test them out and let us know what you think.

It seems that the general consensus around here is that it is not too harsh and handles pretty darn well. However, my SL isn't too shabby of a handler either!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have an SE.
My Sister has an SL.
I prefer the handling & looks of mine.
She likes the softer ride of hers.
We haven't agreed on anything in 44 years.
Why start now?
:headslap:

·
5,268 Posts
Tried SE - loved the handling. Tried SL - loved the ride.

My wife preferred SL because of softer ride. I learned long time ago you cannot win with a woman, so we have SL.

Then we got FX – MUCH stiffer ride. She loves the handling. Hm, go figure…..women…….

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with either of them. Just make sure you test both of them.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Tried both.
Prefer turn in on the SE.
But SE will beat you to death if you have concrete highways with the fabled expansion joints.
Bot the SL.

Homer

·
Registered
5 Posts
MVTCFP that is so funny dude!

Made me laugh this morning, great way to start a day.

My 2 is that, i've never driven an SL, but i know that after driving an audi a4, and having test driven an SE. I would have to say that when you gotta crank the wheel to avoid something in your path, it's so nice to have a car that responds.

Good luck.

BTW, i figure i'm 29 and someday i'll have the SL Cadillac

·
5,268 Posts
Wow, Homer is back!

Glad to "see" you on the board. Hope Charley diod not affect you much!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
It is more to personal taste

I agree with Snow Mo.

Just IMHO:
if you like the ride of lexus RX300, you will like SL's ride with those 'floaty' feeling gliding on the highway.
If you like g force and roadster like ride, SE is for you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Before I bought, I had a SE demo for two days and took it on a 400 mile trip. It was fine, though I was mostly on freeway. I ended up getting a SL though and found it was just fine on some high speed driving on bad roads. I managed to bottom out the suspension out only twice, both times because of excess speed. For some reason, my SL feels best when pushed hard through corners. If you go through at moderate speeds, it has a fair bit of 'lean'.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The Murano is marketed as a sporty alternative to the family haulers like Pilot and Highlander. The SE exemplifies this "active lifestyle" imagine the best - with its firmer ride and sharper handling. The SL is no slouch, but for the Murano's intended purpose, I think the SE is the way to go.

But like mentioned above, the butt test should seal the deal for you. When I purchased my Murano I knew I wanted the SE and thats what I got.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I read somewhere that the SL will handle as well as the SE.
But... in the SL you just get more body lean. But also more comfort.

I went with the SL as coming from a Grand Cherokee this was like driving a race car. Also a firm suspension is great for cornering on smooth roads, get a few bumps and the rear-end will bounce up losing traction.

I think the SL absorbs the bumps better removing this effect. But that's just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts