Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Murano for about six weeks now, and have found the seats to be really uncomfortable on a long drive. They are hard & flat, which has resulted in my old back injury flaring up with two trips to the doc for antiinflam. & pain killers. Still hurts. Sitting on pillows helps, but I wonder if there are some aftermarket seat cushions made for this car.

Thanks -

gibby26

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The seats on a MO are a bit firm but I have not have any issues with them at all. I drive nearly 100 miles every day to and from work (about 2 to 2.5 hours in rush hour) and have taken long trips (eight hours with stop only for gas) and actually find them very comfortable (after properly adjusting them) even with my lower back disc injury. Maybe the seats on your MO need to be adjusted further?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z:

Thanks for the feedback. I've had some back problems over the years (two surgeries) and used to have regular sciatic pain when in the car - until I bought my first Explorer. I had five more Explorers, and those seats are super. Never any more sciatic pain. But it was time to get better mileage (which I sure do with the Murano - averaging 23.0). The first week I had the MO I drove about 700 miles with no problems. Second week - another 700 in two days. A little sore. Then the third week about 800 all in one day. Halfway thru the drive it felt like I had been sitting on bleachers all morning. Sciatica really flared up. That was April 8th. Still really sore when I sit on about anything. I'm trying different types of cushions and pillows, but it's a pain (literally). Hopefully an upcoming week out of the car will help. It's odd because I test-drove the Murano a number of times. When first sitting the seat is comfortable. But within a few minutes for me, it's trouble. I was able to get some longer bolts for the seats and raise the front of the driver's seat with some spacers. But I think it's just the seat design - wide, flat, and hard, with little thigh support. My wife can't stand to drive it more than a few minutes - says it feels like sitting on a piece of plywood (I would agree). Pretty disappointing in an otherwise fairly nice package (I'm still trying to find a comfortable driving position, in spite of the back pain. I've had over fifty different cars, and have never had such a problem getting used to one like this one. Combo of the vague, wandering steering (the power steering is ENGINE-speed sensitive - that means at low RPMs - like at 40 MPH - there's lots of boost - too much boost!), touchy gas pedal, CVT torque-converter locking and unlocking, low seating position, etc.). I guess it will just take time.

gibby26

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Nothing compares to sciatic pain. Sorry to hear about all the issues. I tend to agree that the seats are sort of flat, and hard. In that respect, nothing comes close to the plush comfort of seats in American SUVs or luxury cars. In the case of the MO, it does take sometime to get used to them, or find the right adjustments. In fact, that is one of the reasons NO ONE is allowed to drive my car because I cannot afford to have the seat adjustments changed (I do not have memory seats). Also, the leather seats, because they are flat, will let you slide right off of them if you brake hard and do not have your seat belts holding you! Probably the cloth seats do not have that problem. Hope you will be able to find a solution because I really think MO is a great car in many respects.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I think it will just take some time. BTW, I've felt for a while the MO had a wandering feeling in the steering - just didn't seem to track properly. I talked to the dealer after I got it and he did a TSB on the front suspension. Not much difference. Today I have it in for an alignment, mainly to check the caster. The tech rode with me and told me Muranos will have that wandering feeling (he thought mine was pretty typical, but still will check the caster) due to the AWD. He told me all four wheels are drivng all the time. I thought it was FWD unless there was slippage in the front, at which time the rears come on. No so, he said. It's 60/40 front-to-rear all the time. If there's slippage, more torque goes to the non-slipping wheel. He said that explains some of the wandering - just the nature of the vehicle. Hmmm.
I don't want to be too negative. Lots to love about the MO. I've just not had a vehicle take so long to get used to. I told that to the tech, and he said this really isn't like other vehicles. The combo of the CVT (BTW, he said there's no torque converter - just feels like it due to the belts changing pulleys, etc), the AWD, etc. makes it unique.
Thanks -

·
Registered
324 Posts
gibby26 said:
He told me all four wheels are drivng all the time. I thought it was FWD unless there was slippage in the front, at which time the rears come on. No so, he said. It's 60/40 front-to-rear all the time. If there's slippage, more torque goes to the non-slipping wheel. He said that explains some of the wandering - just the nature of the vehicle. Hmmm.
He's Wrong, Your Right...

http://www.nissanusa.com/murano/driving_dynamics.html

All-Wheel Drive
It might be raining, icy, even snowing, but you're prepared. The All-Wheel Drive (AWD) model, with its superior traction and handling, can help negotiate even the most challenging conditions. And because it's automatic, Murano switches seamlessly between AWD and front-wheel drive, giving you either the optimal control of AWD or the optimal fuel economy* of front-wheel drive. What's more, you can lock in AWD, a definite advantage at lower speeds**, by simply pressing the AWD lock button.

**Driver can lock in AWD at speeds up to 6 miles per hour.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm....
Not exactly a confidence-builder in the dealership's knowledge. Do you experience the wandering, or lack of an on-center feel? I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that did this. It doesn't pull, it just wanders off center. Turn the wheel 10 degrees to the right, and the wheel stays turned - it doesn't center itself. It's less noticeable at higher speeds - when the power steering boost is lower. Maybe that's a factor. Drove my daughter's Honda Pilot a few weeks ago - it tracked like a train. Took effort to turn it from center. I'll see if the caster check improves anything.
BTW - I love all the extra "goodies" you've added to your vehicle! I love gadgets, and yours sounds like the Space Shuttle! Very cool!
gibby26

·
Registered
324 Posts
gibby26 said:
Hmmm....
Not exactly a confidence-builder in the dealership's knowledge. Do you experience the wandering, or lack of an on-center feel? I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that did this. It doesn't pull, it just wanders off center. Turn the wheel 10 degrees to the right, and the wheel stays turned - it doesn't center itself. It's less noticeable at higher speeds - when the power steering boost is lower. Maybe that's a factor. Drove my daughter's Honda Pilot a few weeks ago - it tracked like a train. Took effort to turn it from center.
gibby26
I think your talking to "Z", but I would chime in that I have seen the same thing when I first got my MO but not now. But big difference for one is I have and SE, which has a tighter suspension. I would agree that the steering does not straighten back up like in some of the Honda's. My CR-V would be sloppy if I did not have enough air in the front tires. If you don't have TPMS, maybe try putting more air in your tires. Just watch you don't get too close to the tire limits.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Interesting....I've never felt wandering in my MO. Well, once, and only a little because I had a air pressure drop in one of my rear tires (down to 15 pounds). My MO tracks very well and tries to center when making turns or changing lanes.

It is also interesting that they performed what I assume was the loose steering rack TSB on your 2006 as I would think that problem was specific to 2003 and 2004 models.

However, the most interesting is the lack of knowledge on the part of the tech who test drove your car. MO is front wheel drive until AWD becomes necessary. Also, there is definitely a torgue convertor in the MO. Wish I had a SM with me but I am sure if you search the forum you will find a picture of it somewhere. If I find it, I will insert here later.

I think you should try a different dealer. They are not all the same. Depending upon the service I need, I use one of the three in my area. The one near my home to change oil but I don't let them touch anything else. The other one (farthest from me) does the major service stuff as they have more competent mechanics. The third does things like rattles and squicks.....:D

Thanks for the comment regarding the "add on" stuff in my MO. It is still work in progress. I am currently upgrading my computer to a more powerfull one so that I could finally add my front camera to record events as they occur in front of me....! Plus, voice recognition was not 100% previously due to limitted CPU power but now I can count on my MO to respond: "Yes Master?" when I give it verbal commands....:2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got it back from the dealer for the alignment. They said the caster was fine. Specs call for 1.8-3.3 degrees of caster. My settings are 2.2 left and 2.1 right. I noticed the "Total Toe" settings are supposed to be -0.04 to 0.12 degrees, and mine were -0.38 degrees (reset to 0.08). Looks like that one was pretty far off (they gave me the printout from the alignment machine). We'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks -

gibby26

1 - 10 of 10 Posts