Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question from a prospective buyer. I am prone to getting some pretty miserable back stiffness and soreness in my lower lumbar region after long trips. (Really anything over an hour.) How are the seats?

They seemed pretty comfortable on my test drive, but that was only 10 minutes. Heck, my Acura TL-S seats are comfortable for 10 minutes at a time; it's only after an hour that I'm miserable. So how do the Mo's seats hold up?

·
Registered
542 Posts
well I've owned an 89 honda accord a 96 chrysler sebring and a 95 lexus gs300 and I find the seats in my Murano are the most comfortable of them all.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
IMO the seats are big and comfortable. Part of the perk for only having two rows of seats.

But seats are highly personal.

I have driven all day and had no problems.
I tend to move the Lumbar adjustment about once an hour as I have a herniated disc and staying in one spot for hours is the worst thing I can do.

Homer

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find the seats very comfortable. My last car was a 93 sentra and I was making trips to and from school (MA to PA) about once a month. I usually try to do it straight through and it takes about 6 hours. My back was usually killing about an hour into it, but now with the MO I can do it with no pain at all. With so many adjustments, if anything does feel uncomfortable, you can change it pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Seats are extremely comfortable, since they are high up with a natural seating position (not the sitting on the floor style of most sedans). I find that eases my back a lot better than an extremely firm lower lumbar support. That said, I think you need to try out the Murano's seats for yourself first. Personally because these seats are so nice and wide, the lumber might not stick out as far as you would like it to.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
talk about seats in the murano..

it is comfortable, but after along roadtrip ( 2 hrs or so) sometimes i got a back ache problem. My GF also told me similar thing. Both of us are non caucasian, so maybe we are a bit 'too small' for murano big seat. ;)

Anyway, i am planning to buy this for my roadtrip
Seat Masager bed bath abd beyond

Pretty cheap, especially i got 20% of coupon my GF always get in the email for being their regular customer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I find the seats quite comfortable especially on long trips. My wife, however seems to complain that they are not as comfortable as the leather seats in her Saab 9-5. I think that there is a bit of a difference between her car and mine in terms of the leather grade.

I find the seats to be supportive and much firmer than most leather seats that I've sat in before. One Car mag article descibes the MO leather seats as "snare drum tight".

My driver's seat is relaxing a bit from the softening it receives from my rearend, but the other seats that rarely get sat in are still a bit stiff.

Enjoy, though, it's a great ride!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Contrary to most, I find the seats not so comfortable.

I had an extremely hard time positioning to my liking.

The window ledge is just too high to rest my arm and the arm rest in the door is as hard as a rock (to my bony old elbow.)

I will say, the seat got better with time as the leather softened up a bit, and now it is not so bad as when I first got I the car. I seriously considered returning the car during the first couple of weeks.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I think that the seats are fairly comfortable. I wish that they were more like sports bucket seats found in the RSX with large side bolsters, but this is not a sports car so I am not dissapointed. I find that the electronic adjustments allow me to move my seat where ever I please and the added benefit of heated seats make me smile everytime.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Snow's comment about the heated seats........
I don't have them.
:rolleyes:

But it reminded me that the adjustable pedals contribute mightily to the comfort level.

Homer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have over 8000 kms and have yet to find the perfect positioning. My back starts to hurt after about an hour, and I don't have any back problems. I think it might actually be too adjustable.:)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
DocCat said:
They seemed pretty comfortable on my test drive, but that was only 10 minutes. Heck, my Acura TL-S seats are comfortable for 10 minutes at a time; it's only after an hour that I'm miserable. So how do the Mo's seats hold up?
My suggestion is to RENT a Murano for a weekend (try Enterprise, they seem to be the only ones that have MOs) and take a long drive. I did that and it even changed several of the features that I wanted, including changing my mind from the SE to the SL.

My personal opinion is that the cloth seats are much more comfortable than the leather. This is for two reasons. First, I don't like the texture of leather. Secondly, the cloth seats seemed to "hug" you more, whereas the leather seats seemed to firm and I slid around a bit on them.

Several people have mentioned that the leather breaks in after a while, so maybe a "used" one (rental) might have a better feel for you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The seats are very firm - no question. On longer rides, this can be a plus as the Mo's seats won't bottom out. However, the minus side is that they can feel a bit stiff on the old bottom. By comparison, the leather seats on the wife's minivan (Oldsmobile Silhouette) are much plusher. You tend to sink into them more, yet they don't bottom out on longer trips. Good thing as that's the long-haul driver unless we're towing the boat. Overall, I'd say the Mo's seats are in the good to very good range, but not excellent.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Cross country and did just fine

I took a well-documented cross country trip in the car this past Memorial Day and I felt fine even after 18 days of driving. I think the key for me, though, is that I like to sit in a different position for long-haul rides. I like to lean the seat back almost far enough to touch the back seats, and then lower the rear of the bottom seat and raise the front. I don't just lean the back all the way back "ghetto style", but actually tip the bottom seat back, too. Make a backwards "L" with your right hand, and rotate the whole thing about 30 degrees to the right.

Then, of course, I can't reach the top of the steering wheel, so have to drive at "5:30 and 6:30" instead of "10 and 2" ;)

I regularly use that position in my Florida drives and I arrived refreshed and ready to go. Back on July 3rd, I drove to Florida (well, finished the 2nd half of the trip starting in SC), hung out at my Mom's for an hour, then turned around and drove the family over to Daytona for the Pepsi 400. Drove for 13 hours on Friday, 6 on Saturday, half an hour to the track, stayed at the track until 2am (in hard plastic seats), then sat in traffic for 2 hours to get back home. And yet, my only problem was catching a cold from getting rained on for two solid hours.

But seriously, if that's not a testament to the seats, I'm hard pressed to find one!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am also one of the very few that find the seats less than ideal. There are some other threads on the site regarding lumbar support modifications etc. I found that the seat support in the upper mid back was way to hard. I ended up removing the cross support spring and the active head restraint spring and it got better (but not perfect). I am a big guy 6'6" 250 lbs so perhaps my ......girth puts the seat a little beyond the design limits.

The bottom line with seats, like hfelknor said, very personal. It all depends on your back, you size and preference. Go with Corins suggestion and try to get one for a longer term tryout.

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Holy cow, 6' 6" and 250?? I was 5' 10" and 250 until February when I got braces on my teeth! (lost 25 lbs since then) You must look like a bean pole compared to me!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Re: Re: Seat Comfort

Corin said:
My suggestion is to RENT a Murano for a weekend
Oh, I forgot to mention that before you try to rent one, ask your dealer to take a 24 hour test drive. Quite a few dealers will let you do this, but you have to really pressure them to do so.

Hey, if you regularly have back problems due to driving, that's a pretty big point that you want to iron out. Strong-arm them into giving you an extended test drive by noting your concerns about the seats. Maybe even thow in some comparisons with other vehicles. Don't let them tell you "oh, you won't have any problems, these seat move 6 million ways and you'll always be comfortable".

If they won't let you take the car overnight, then head out for a normal test drive and just don't turn around. Hey, if the dealer wants to waste an hour or two as a passenger rather than loaning you the car overnight, so be it! :)

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
Good point, Corin, I don't know how many people here often reject their dealer's standard test drive route, but I always do. I'm lucky enough to live near country roads, a 50-55mph highway from the 1950's and a modern 65-75-85 mph highway.. all within a mile of each other, so I have my own route I like to take. One time they wanted me to go one light, turn right, go two lights, turn right, go through a mall, come out the back, turn right and then turn left back into the dealership. I was like "Oh, whatever! I need to see this on 95, let's go."

85, 86, 87.... 88... keep looking in the rear view mirror at the salesman in the back seat..

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, and do it in Ds....

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hell, a test drive should ALWAYS last at least a half an hour, but ideally well over an hour. You need to see how a vehicle performs on city streets, suburban thoroughfares and highway driving (not the stop-n-go kind either!). On top of that, you need to ride rough roads, curves, straightaways, on-ramps, off-ramps, multilane roads, etc. No way to do all that in less than an hour. You want to sit in the car long enough to feel what its REALLY like. The EPA Federal Test Procedure (FTP) for cars is 20 minutes with mixed conditions on the dynanometer. Doing the same on real roads is going to take a lot longer.

If the dealer doesn't like that idea, go somewhere else. Oh, and DON'T buy the demo vehicle used for test drives. Lord knows that one hasn't been broken in correctly!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts