Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In NJ now. From Houston:
1696 miles mileage average 23.5 on regular
Last tank was about 24.5
Lower altitudes, lower average speed

Finally changed the oil @ approximately 9000 miles - no consumption
Got the tires rotated yesterday at WalMart for $6 - unbelievable!

·
Registered
844 Posts
What was your average speeds on these legs?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First leg, all interstate 71mph
Second leg mixed 69mph

·
Registered
243 Posts
Stoker said:
Got the tires rotated yesterday at WalMart for $6 - unbelievable!

What did they use, pnuematic gun to tighten your lug nuts.

$ 6.00 Pretty good, cost to change warped rotors, PRICELESS :2:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pneumatic gun on low power with torque limiter, recheck all with torque wrench.
When I do it at home, I use the torque wrench - never warped a rotor yet!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Home now. Drove from Ft. Lee NJ to Portland in 3 1/2 days. Gas mileage average a little over 21, impacted by high winds,high speeds, and mountains in the west. Also dropped badly after buying E10 90 octane in Iowa and Nebraska. Performs well, but the mileage sucks.

Overall trip, a little over 7300 miles, averaging just over 22mpg on regular (except for the two tanks of E10).
Note that there was a week of driving around Houston, and a week of driving around NJ included.
No car issues at all. Tires wore very evenly, no shakes. Didn't use a drop of oil.

Forgot the price of gas. Low 1.979 in Elyria OH, high $2.359 in Ontario OR, average $2.139

·
Registered
792 Posts
Your first oil change was @ 9K? Did I read that right?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think ekaxel uses Amsoil synthetic. Hence the long change interval. Probably can also be done with Mobil One as well.

Glad to hear you had a safe trip ekaxel!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ekaxel:

Great, that you enjoyed your trip !

I would have expected better MPG, may be it includes all the city driving you did on the way.

How did your roadmate do, was it helpfull
and do you still use that custom handmade mount, if you liked it could you please post some fabrication and install hints, thanks.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The beauty of synthetic (Amsoil 0w30): If you are not in a conveninert place/time to change it, no harm. The oil drained at 9000 was clean. I am using MO filter now, as I removed the big Amsoil thing (noise) about 8k miles ago.
Roadmate - a couple of minor glitches, had an exit mapped wrong, sent me south when I should have been going north; froze once - first time I have ever seen that. Took me everywhere I had to go.
The dead on accurate trip computers are great for mileage calculations, as the MO one is about 3% low.
RE the mount. I was just going out to make a minor mod to reduce vibratioin. Otherwise it is great. I will try to take a couple of pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts