Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

was just reading the better oil filter thread and just came across the thought if someone has done this theirselves. i mean change the oil for MO at home.

assuming i get the OEM filter OR some better renowned brand like Amsoil, Fram or Mobil, what else should i be concerned about.
i read the directions on page 8-10 of my manual and they dont seem that difficult.

i understand i have to HAVE these things before i start it.

a new oil filter
engine oil
some kind of rubber grip to loosen and tighten the filter
a new oil drain plug
some kind of reservoir to properly dispose off my old oil

what else should i be concerned about and anyone who has done this at home... please share ur experience.

thanks,

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Many posts on this. I've done it several times... its so easy. The oil filter is on the bottom of the engine. I've found that I don't even have to place it on ramps to do it! Just have some rags handy as it will be messy when removing the filter. If you have done a change on a car before this is no different.

I would becareful when adding the oil. I had an issue on the first change and a few others did when trying to read the dip stick. I would add (including oil in the filter) 4 qts and drive four a few days and check the level once the oil gets some color to it.

Have fun and remember to dispose of the oil properly. :4:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would let the dealer do your first oil change.

From the factory the oil filter is usally on so tight it a pain to remove. Once the factory one is replaced, you can do it easier.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You have all you need to do an oil change. I agree with the first oil change done at the dealer - the first factory filter is VERY tight. Even with a wrench, I could not crack it loose.

I would NOT recommend you use a wrench to put the filter on. HAND TIGHT is the rule. Nissan specifies 2/3rd of a turn after the gasket makes contact with the engine. I use a sharpie, and mark a line on the filter, and turn it 2/3rd of a turn with my hand. It is tight enough, and makes it reasonably easy to remove the next oil change.

You do not need a new drain plug. All you need is a new drain plug gasket (a copper ring). Again, the drain plug should be hand tight (~30lb/ft using a socket wrench). If you tighten the heck out of it, you risk warping the aluminum oil pan.

Something good to do is to prefill the new filter with oil. It takes about 1/4 quart (pour slowly) and let it soak into the filter. This helps to prevent a dry start. Also apply a thin coat of new oil to the new filter gasket (use your finger, one wipe is good enough).

A warm engine drains the oil more quickly. Run your engine up to operating temperature before doing the oil change. By the time you get the plastic fender liner off and get your oil change supplies ready, it would have cooled off enough to do the oil change.

The first time you start a car after an oil change, its a great feeling, to hear the engine purr on the new oil you put in yourself! Good luck and have fun.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Eric L

That was some post. You sound like you truly love changing oil. Must be a biology related thing. GRIP :D

:2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Eric L

GripperDon said:
That was some post. You sound like you truly love changing oil. Must be a biology related thing. GRIP :D

:2:
The oil is the life blood of the car! :D

·
5,100 Posts
Great response and the DNA is?....................

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
GripperDon said:
Great response and the DNA is?....................

Not sure if I can draw a direct analogy to DNA, since its a protein blueprint. I guess if I had to pick something I would say the engine computer, but thats closer to the brain/nervous system, not DNA.

Ok getting back on topic here, good luck to all you change your oil at home people out there! It really does feel good to work on your car and know its done right.

·
5,100 Posts
The additives in the MOBIL 1. Bye, GRIP :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles last month and the oil filter was tight but nothing I couldn't handle. I did not remove the plastic fender liner and didn't seem to have a problem getting my arm up beside it. I also put mine up on ramps and it made it alot easier to work under. I have a creeper I role around on and just check everything else out while the oil is draining. It's pretty much a no brainer and I bet you should have any problem at all. Good luck!!! :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts