Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

this is something interesting. Just received an email and decided to follow the link: selfcleaning glass .

I wish we had this on the Murano!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
What a neat product!

As for the MO, I'd settle for wipers that last longer than six months. (Replaced my front wipers with Silblades, been great for a year so far - Silblades are guaranteed for five years). If you've ever used a California Waterblade, you'll know how well silicon performs (cleaning windows).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Guess I missed the part that explained the cost.......

A slight (5-10%) premium might be acceptable.......

Homer

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Kris-

Interesting concept. I can see these windows installed on high- rises, which could eliminate the need for expensive window cleaners.

I would think cars would be a long way off.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I use one of these puppies to get to the corners of the inside windshield. I use it to hold the paper towel, it grips it pretty good.

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
PPG says.....

According to the U.S. company, PPG Industries* that offers the product:

"PPG defines self-cleaning glass as a product that has three distinct characteristics. First, the glass has a durable, long-lasting coating that has been fused into the glass at high temperatures during the glass manufacturing process. Second, the coating exhibits photocatalytic properties, i.e., it will slowly decompose organic material. Third, the same coating also exhibits hydrophilic properties, i.e., it will cause water to sheet over the coated surface and dry with minimal spotting and streaking. Other companies offering 'self-cleaning' glass products should be evaluated as to whether their products provide these three distinct characteristics.

"The self-cleaning property of ...[this PPG] glass is made possible by a durable, transparent coating of titanium dioxide (TiO2) applied during the manufacturing process. The application process...makes the coating an integral part of the outer glass surface, providing...a durable, long-lasting product.

"In a photocatalytic process, ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun energizes the...self-cleaning glass to help slowly break down and loosen organic dirt. Since UV light is abundant even on cloudy days or in shaded areas, this process works nonstop throughout the day.

"The coating also has a hydrophilic property that makes water droplets spread out, or sheet, across the surface of the glass. When rain or a light spray of water hits the window, the water carries away the loosened dirt. This sheeting action also helps the window dry quickly with minimal spotting or streaking.

"Will windows that have this glass ever have to be washed again?

"Yes, but not in the same way you are accustomed to washing...windows...[The] windows will be easier to clean. Either let mother nature do it for you or occasionally wash your windows with a light spray of water. Of course, the interior surface will need to be cleaned like any other window glass."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts