Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what I should for get for trade on my 2003 Murano SL AWD w/ Navi? I've got just under 42,000 miles and the MO is in great condition. I've got XM installed and I put new Nokians less than 6 months ago.

KBB says I should get about $19,000 in trade, I'm curious what others experience has been when trading in their MO? I'm debating whether I should sell it privately or trade in.

Though I loved my MO, I'm looking to get an 06 Acura TL.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
tktommy said:
I'm debating whether I should sell it privately or trade in.
Depending upon how good of a salesperson you are, you always get more when selling privately, but it will take longer...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if you have time try and sell yourself. usually dealerships make money off of trades but loose on new cars. that's their balance. they'll usually only give you blue book cost or slighty more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ideally, I'd like to sell it privately, but when I've done it in the past it's such a hassle-sitting at home waiting for prospective buyers, no shows, losers looking to joy ride and folks that bargin like it's a Pakastani flea market.

I'm in sales myself and I have no problem with the dealer making some money. I'm thinking $20,000 would be fair in trade, Edmunds says $21,000, Cars.com says $18,975. I'm guessing that the dealer would probably come in around $16,000 as a low ball. I'm going to see what Carmax would pay and use that as a bench mark.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You have to make up your mind whether you are selling your car or trading it in.

Generally speaking, if you are selling your vehicle to the dealer he will offer a low ball price. He is not hurting for used Muranos..... and he can buy all he needs at auction.
Besides, if it is a Nissan dealer, most people trade them in, so he generally has a nice supply of used Muranos. He is not motivated to offer much.

If you are trading it in, it doesn't really make much difference what he gives you.
It's the difference that is most important.
Many dealers would give you $22,000 for your car......against full list.
Or maybe only $16,000 against a heavily discounted new car.

Which is the best deal?
Whichever one has the lowest price difference.
And that might not be the guy that gives you the big tradein.

What I generally do is research, research, research.

Finally I know:
What the best dealers will give me n a trade and most importantly, what is the difference between Trade in and price. AND I know what the dealer will take for a "cash" deal. (No trade)

Armed with that info I then I run an ad and try to sell it privately. Quick.
(I sold my Chrysler Mini for cash to the first guy that called. I priced it at $8,200 and sold it for $7600 within 20 minutes. It was "worth" approx $4k on a trade in. It was well worth my time.)

IF I don't sell it, and I really want the new car (I always do! ;) ) I go the dealer who has presented me with the deal that represents the smallest difference.
One caveat.
If the difference between dealers is mousenuts, I deal with the dealer that seems to be most above board, closest to the house, etc. I DO like to support the local businesses if I can.

Homer

·
Registered
10 Posts
tktommy said:
I'm just curious what I should for get for trade on my 2003 Murano SL AWD w/ Navi? I've got just under 42,000 miles and the MO is in great condition. I've got XM installed and I put new Nokians less than 6 months ago.

KBB says I should get about $19,000 in trade, I'm curious what others experience has been when trading in their MO? I'm debating whether I should sell it privately or trade in.

Though I loved my MO, I'm looking to get an 06 Acura TL.
One other issue to consider is the tax structure in your state. In PA, the sales tax is computed on the difference between the new car price and the trade-in price. If you sell privately, the sales tax on the new ride is computed on the entire seling price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts