Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 MO has about 7k miles on it now with no problems, but yesterday after a short drive in 60 degree weather, my dashboard "Service Engine" light came on?

I filled it with gas early that day, but the gas cap was on tight.

Any ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe, MAYBE it's your alternator.

My "Service" light came on awhile ago, along with another light (the parking brake light, if I remember correctly). This tag-team of lights tells the dealer it's the alternator. Supposedly, they had a number of defective alternators from Hitachi (?). In to the shop, fixed (replaced) asap, no problems since.

·
5,268 Posts
In my case it was faulty TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kris said:
In my case it was faulty TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Replaced under warranty.
Took it in this morning and it turned out to be a EVAP leak.

Not 100% sure what part of the emissions system that is, but it didn't take long to fix and re-set the ECU.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I think there was a TCB on the filler hose. Probably what it was, as the gas cap wasn't the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
TikiMan said:

Took it in this morning and it turned out to be a EVAP leak.

Not 100% sure what part of the emissions system that is, but it didn't take long to fix and re-set the ECU.

Nissan often locates its charcoal EVAP canisters near the drivers rear wheel next to the gas tank. If this canister gets wet, it can trip the SES with an EVAP leak code. I had this happen many times with my Maxima, until I traced it down to a ring clamp that wasn't tight enough for one of the rubber hoses on the canister.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check Engine

My check engine light came on a around 12,000 miles. I took it immediately to dealer, and they said not to worry and scheduled an appointment for me the next day.

The next day, they "cleared" the code, and said it was nothing to worry about. Also said that they'd seen alot of check engine light issues related to emissions, with the below zero temps in the area.

It's been 2 weeks and the light has not returned. Should I be satisfied with the service, or is there more info that should have been shared?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Re: Check Engine

UmmelGroup said:
My check engine light came on a around 12,000 miles. I took it immediately to dealer, and they said not to worry and scheduled an appointment for me the next day.

The next day, they "cleared" the code, and said it was nothing to worry about. Also said that they'd seen alot of check engine light issues related to emissions, with the below zero temps in the area.

It's been 2 weeks and the light has not returned. Should I be satisfied with the service, or is there more info that should have been shared?
If the light has not come back on, the original code was probably an artifact of the cold weather. I wouldn't worry about it, although it would be nice to know which code you got.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my check engine light come on as well. I think I only had about 5000 miles when it happened. I took it to the dealer and they had it fixed within an hour or so. I asked them what the problem was and they just said that the reading told them to reset the computer system. There was "suppossedly" nothing wrong with any part of the car, it was just a computer error. They fixed it and it hasn't come back on since.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
I also experienced the same thing... it has something to do with not closing the gas cap properly and then driving away like that... even tightening it afterwards won't fix it. My Nissan dealer said that if it happened again, they would just switch out the chip.

That was about 6,000 miles ago and not problems yet.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
I read somewhere that some were programmed with too much sensitivity to evap leaks, and that even with the gas cap tight it would sometimes trigger a code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts